Chapter 34

My scuffling steps scrape the floor as I walk towards my room. I lock the door behind me when Corbyn starts changing clothes. I regard him raising his shirt off of his head and notice the way his muscles flap under his tanned skin. He stayed silent on our drive here without uttering a word or making an offending remark.

"Are you angry at me?" His eyes meet mine.

"We'll talk tomorrow,"

"So, you still are," I assume.

"Promise me you will stay away from him, and I won't be," I roll my eyes sensing my irritation battle against my exhaustion. My shoulders and hands ache painfully and I can't wait the moment I flop down on the bed.

"I said that I won't," I argue walking towards him, only the bed between us. He tosses his shirt on the floor shaking his head. His hand runs through his strands in an annoyed gesture.

"Don't push it," He warns in a low raspy tone that sends a tingling shiver in my backbone.

"Why don't we settle? I will talk to him and after, I will do what you want me to do," He clenches his jaw sharping it; his eyes glittering with animosity.

"Tomorrow," He grits changing into a new pair of black pants.

"No! I can't go to bed like this,"

"You're going to," When he sits on the bed, ready to lie down, my anger shatters into hundred pieces making my patience evaporate in a nanosecond.

"Corbyn," I cry exasperatedly. "I'm willing to do what you want, what more do you want from me?"

"God damn it," He roars standing up. "Stay the hell away from him, I'm not going to say it again," His eyes widen fearing me a bit, but I don't back down.

"No, I need to fight my own battles..."

"Not this again," He prompts me frowning. My eyebrows shoot up at his humiliating tone. "I'm trying to protect you, stop being so naive,"

"Naive?" I shout scowling as if I ate something bitter.

"Yes, naive and innocent. You going to talk to him won't change his fucking mind. Ever. But you know what you will do? Challenge him to go after you!"

"Oh, yea? And what am I supposed to do?"

"Avoid him and let me handle it,"

"Are you kidding me? Handle it how exactly? By punching him and getting expelled in the process?"

"I have my ways," He says. "Stay away from it,"

"Stop saying that! I'm not a fragile barbie that can't manage her life. You keep hiding me away from all the problems, constantly," I exclaim as my body wiggles due to the burning tension that crushes through my veins.

"What?" He seems bemused as if I confound him.

"It's true. You always do this. You never tell me about your arrangements for me, about the lawyers, about what they were doing to you in those courts. Nothing," I shout puffing.

"Where is this coming from?" I shake my head sealing my lids. I'm so fatigued and hungry and emotional right now. Today was a huge day that seemed not to want to end. Dakoda's words repeat themselves in my head. She brought all my memories back and my empathy for her after she admitted the truth scattered my walls down. Tears well up stinging the back of my eyes but I blink getting rid of them. I don't even realize Corbyn skeptically staring at me as I take off my dress.

"What is going on with you?" He titles his head to the side gazing at me with those blue slit eyes.

"Nothing," I murmur.