Chapter 63

"Miss me?" His angelic voice sends a gush of shivers and goosebumps down my spine. The noises cease to echo and my breath gets hitched at my throat. I don't have any time to think of moving as his strong arms envelop me and whirl me around before his hand raises my chin and his lips crush passionately against mine. A million drops of heated lust explode within me at the light touch. His darkened, yet, glistening blue eyes meet mine.

"Hey," He whispers upon my lips, and my knees quiver as a response.

"Hi," My voice is hoarse and foreign to my own ears causing him to smirk. He knows the effect he has on me, though, it never quits to surprise him. He takes my hand in his and only then do I realize that we have stayed behind. I let myself relax, sensing the secure warmth radiating off of him and reaching every cell of mine. I don't know how he has that impact on me; I feel much more myself when he's around me than ever.

His fingers stroke mine and butterflies dance in my empty stomach before I kill them myself. I have to tell him the truth. I'm the worst coward though.

During dinner, my fork kept teasing my spaghetti and I was not able to consume much of the meal despite its delicious taste and aroma. I was overcome with panic due to my desperate and invading thoughts about the updates to my application in Standford, prompting my heartbeat to accelerate. As a slight tremor catches my attention, I throw my hands in my lap. Corbyn's warm fingers interlace with mine and gather our attached skins on his feet. I have no clue if he can sense my overwhelming anxiety. Although, even if he does, he shows no proof of the sort.

I keep biting my bottom lip in a failed endeavor to suppress my nerves. My mind is traveling in the past; to the moment I send my applications, our fights, and discussions, and then, I race to our uncertain future. My skin cripples. I'm so distracted that I nearly don't notice them standing up. I walk, forcing my feet to move forward.

"Everything okay with you?" Blare approaches me with a worried expression etched in her expression.

"Kind of,"

"What is it?"

"Babe," Jacob's loud voice interrupts our short-lived conversation. "Do you need a ride?"

"Yea, I actually do, the girls are going to stay a bit longer,"

He titles his head in the opposite direction. "That way. Do you need a ride home too?" He questions when his eyes land on me.

"No, I will take her," Corbyn's voice reverberates from my back before I get the chance to reply. At the core of my being, I'm convinced I would actually be open to his proposal if Corbyn didn't speak. Within, he engulfs me with his hands, pressing me gently against his chest. He leaves a chaste kiss on my hair.

"I will see you tomorrow at school," Jacob waves goodbye as the group shuffles off into the distance among the walking bodies of strangers. Seeing no one familiar in my peripheral vision spikes my heart because I know my time is up; I have to talk to him. My inner cheek becomes dry as I chew; I feel my heart rate increase.

I glance backward and find him staring at me. Though, his eyes are fuzzy blue; not the crystal sapphire I admired when he kissed me earlier. My eyes raise and observe a frown troubling his eyebrows. My lips unseal but he doesn't allow it.

"Wanna walk a bit?" He takes my hand in his when I hesitantly nod my head in agreement.

He leads the way, and I simply trust him, following him. My thoughts race through my mind, noisily, as if hammers are being pressed into my scalp. I don't even notice when we reach the beach. The distant voices of the crowd resound as humming along with the splashing of petite waves caressing the sand. Small white foams are being formed and vanish in the next second. The lights of the aligned restaurant and cafes, the colorful neon light of signs paint the sand various colors; golden, blue, and bleeding red.