Chapter 11

.....The Next Day.....

I woke up and realized I was back in our bed. Wait, How did I get here?

I get up and noticed Alex wasn't in the room. I quickly went to the bathroom before leaving the room.

I heard some noise in the kitchen and when I reached the kitchen Alex was by the stove cooking something.

He doesn't seem to notice me so I continued to stand nearby and watch him cook.

.....A Few Minutes Later.....

"Hey" Alex says and I realize that he spotted me already.

"Hey" I say before walking towards the kitchen to get some coffee.

"Breakfast?" He says while handing me over a plate.

I thank him then we go and sit and we start to eat in silence.

After we eat I grab the plates, while I wash the dishes I notice Alex approaching me.

"Are you going to tell me what's bothering you? Or are you just going to ignore me for the rest of our trip?"

I continue to ignore him until I finished washing the dishes and I start to walk towards our room to change.

But before I get to open the door Alex holds my hand and lightly pulls me.

"What's bothering you?" He asks again

I think for a moment wether I should tell him or not while he continues to watch me closely.

"What brother were they talking about last night?" I ask

"You heard it?" He asks and I nod.

"Is it true?" I ask and this time he nods.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask and he averts his gaze from me.

"I didn't think we would ever see him. I haven't seen him in years and I tried to forget him" he says as he walks over to the window.

"Each time I remeber the past I realize how much I failed him. How much I didn't stand up for him when he needed me"

"What's his name?" I ask as I approach him.

"His name was George, he was two years younger than me" he says as he continues to look out the window.

"What happened to him?"

"It started a few years ago, We used to be very close with one another. However, things changed" he says before he pauses for a short while.

"One night we received a call in the palace, it was from the cops. They informed us that he was drunk driving and he crashed with another car. He was immediately brought to the hospital. However, the couple in the other car weren't lucky...the couple died shortly after"

"Everyone found out and people were in fear knowing that the prince killed two innocent lives because he was drunk. Everyone thought of him as just the playboy type...but they didn't know the truth about what caused him to go drinking every night"

"What is the truth?" I ask and he looks at me for awhile before turning back to the window.

"He caught his girlfriend cheating on him with his best friend, her name was Alice. He was even planning to propose already. Until he caught them both... Since that day he went from bar to bar around the kingdom. Drinking the whole night and returning back at the morning completely drunk. This happened for several months and almost everyone was aware of him getting drunk every night"

"We all tried to talk him out of it but he completely ignored everything we said. On the night of the accident father talked to him..."

.....Flashback.....

-----Alex POV-----

"I would like to speak to George alone" father says, mother and I nod our heads before we left the room and waited outside in the hallway.

"I'll be back, let me just talk to his doctor" mother says while I nod and I walk towards the nearby chairs.

I sit in silence for some time until I hear the shouts from the room start to get louder and louder.

"Do you know how much fear the people are in now? After this whole thing that you did!?" Father says "How will the people trust us? When you just killed two innocent people because you were drunk! This is not how we raised you to be!"

"Why can't you just start acting the way a prince should? Instead of going from one bar to another and getting drunk!"

.....A Few Weeks Later.....

I just came back after I had an engagment to attend.

When I entered the palace I noticed my mother pacing around the hall with tears in her eyes.

"Mother is everything alright?" I ask as she looks up at me.

"No, George is missing" she says

"Missing? What do you mean he's missing? I saw him in his room before I left" I say

"I came to check on him and he's not there, I even checked around the palace and he's not anywhere. I noticed a few of his clothes and things were gone...I think he left"

"Does father know?" I ask and she shooke her head 'no'.

"He's still in an important meeting, I haven't told him yet, but I've sent search parties out to go find him"

"I'll be back" I say before I start to make my way to my brothers room.

I enter and I look around. True to what my mother said some of his things were gone.

I checked his table and I found a letter with my name on it.

.........................................................................

Dear Brother,

I apologise for what I have done to you, to mother, to father and everyone else.

I cannot stand losing Alice much longer and I fear that if I remain in the kingdom I might ruin the whole family's reputaion even more.

I can only ask and hope that you accept my decision to go and explore around the world, to be free of my royal duties, to be able to live a simpler life without the constant pressure of the public.

I ask that you not look for me. I wish you the best of luck when the time comes for you to reign the kingdom. I assure you that I will be fine and there is no need to worry.

I'm sorry I left this way without telling you or anyone else. I love you, mother and father always. Take care.

- George
.........................................................................

.....End of Flashback.....

"I showed our parents the letter and that was it. We all decided to accept what he chose. We told the people that he was stepping down from his royal work and since then we haven't seen him aside from the pictures and articles of the press"

"To be honest, I expected them to have a shouting match the night of the crash. But as much as I wanted to stay with my brother and defend him I had not much choice when my father said something"

"It was either I go now or he would have the guards bring me out to talk to George alone. Only mom and I knew that he was planning to propose to Alice. He was just about to tell Dad of his plans on proposing before he caught her cheating on him"

"After he left mother told father the truth and I can tell that he regrets fighting with George that night as that was the last time they spoke to each other before George left"

"During birthdays he would send a letter but no one knows where it came from or who brought it in the palace but I wouldn't doubt my brother. He was good at escaping in and out of the palace without being spotted by anyone. That's how he did it that night, he escaped, took a car, went for a drink and...crashed"

Author's Note:

Word Count: 1309

Hope you liked it.