Chapter Two

Rex put down his binoculars when he heard General Skywalker's familiar voice. "What's the status, Rex?"

Rex turned and saw two female togruta's following him. One was a youngling while the other looked to be older. Rex took a moment to respond to the general as he studied the older of the two togruta's. She was a beautiful yellow color, with white markings on her face, and arms, while her montrals and headtails were white with brown markings fading into yellow markings. Her grey robes hugged her body, and two lightsabers hung from her belt. He shook his head, and returned his gaze to General Skywalker.

"Quiet for now, sir. They're gearing up for another assault", he answered before his gaze shifted to the youngling. "Who's the youngling?"

"I'm Master Skywalker's padawan", she said, putting emphasis on the padawan part. "The name's Ahsoka Tano."

Rex shifted his gaze over to Skywalker. "Sir, I thought you said you'd never have a padawan."

"There's been a mixup, the youngling isn't with me", the general grumbled. 

"Stop calling me that!" Ahsoka yelled before a smirk settled onto her face. "You're stuck with me Skyguy."

Rex chuckled, and he heard a snort come from the yellow togruta who was admiring the view. "Good one Ahsoka. I don't think anyone's ever called Anakin 'skyguy' before."

Ahsoka smiled over at her fellow togruta. "Thanks, Master Ki."

"What did you call me?" Skywalker nearly snarled. Out of the corner of his eye, Rex saw the older female tense up. "Don't get snippy with me, little one. You know, I don't think you're even old enough to be a padawan."

"Well, maybe I'm not", Ahsoka said. "But Master Yoda thinks I am."

"Well, you're not with Master Yoda now", Skywalker said sharply. "So, if you're ready, you better start proving it. Captain Rex will show you how a little respect can go a long way."

Rex fumbled for words for moment. "uh.... right." He gave a hesitant smile to Ahsoka before leading her away.

Ashara chuckled as Ahsoka followed Rex, almost like a stray puppy. Ashara walked over to Anakin, and nudged him.

"She's got spunk", she said with a grin. Anakin rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, and an attitude that's going to be the death of me", he muttered.

"Ah, you'll get used to her. Besides, you weren't much different when we were padawans."

Anakin sighed softly, and looked over at Ashara. "That's what I'm afraid of, Ash. I don't want her to turn out like me."

Ashara gave him a gentle smile. "So teach her everything that you wished you knew then that you know now. She'll appreciate it. Just give her a chance to prove herself."

Anakin looked at Ashara for a long time, before he finally nodded. "I'll try, but if she gets mysteriously hurt, it's not my fault."

Ashara chuckled as she returned gaze to the horizon. "Anakin, what's that?" she asked pointing at a red blob that was slowly moving closer. Anakin grabbed a pair binoculars and sighed. 

"It's a force field", he muttered. "Come on. We need to tell Obi-wan."

Ashara nodded, and followed him down to the holotable where Obi-wan already was with Rex and Ahsoka. Ashara stood between Obi-wan and Anakin as they discussed the force field.

"The shield generator is somewhere in this area", Obi-wan said. "They're slowly increasing the diameter, and keeping it just ahead of their troops."

"Heavy cannons are going to useless against that", Rex said, worry playing in his voice. Ashara couldn't blame him. These were his men, his brothers that were fighting, and if they couldn't use their best weapons, it was likely that they would die or be captured. Neither one was a good fate.