Chapter Eight

Ashara stood between Ahsoka and Rex by the holotable. Obi-wan was talking to Anakin about their recent losses.

"Amongst our most recent losses was the battlegroup at Falleen. The separatist fleet commanded by General Grievous is headed your way."

"Seems like that coward always knows when and where to attack us", Anakin said in anger. Ashara knew that he was annoyed that they hadn't managed to capture Grievous yet. She knew the time would come, when eventually, they would capture him, but she suspected it wouldn't be anytime soon. They couldn't stop trying, however, because if they did manage to capture Grievous, it would mean the end of the war is close.

"You're heavily outnumbered, Anakin", Obi-wan said. "Even with Ashara and her Valkyrie squad backing you up. I advise retreat."

"If we run, the separatists will take control of this sector", Anakin said. "I can't let them do that." 

"And that is your problem", Obi-wan reprimanded his old padawan. 

"Master Kenobi is right", Ahsoka said. "We should regroup. We don't stand a chance against-"

Anakin cut Ahsoka off by harshly saying her name. She barely flinched as she continued to speak against her master.

"Suicide is not the Jedi way, master", she said calmly. Ashara silently agreed with Ahsoka, but she also knew how much Anakin hated giving up. He had to give up everything during his childhood on Tattooine, much like Ashara had. She sighed softly as she walked around to Anakin and gently placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Anakin... I know you don't want to retreat. But for the safety of this crew, for the safety of the clones that are under your command... Retreat is the best option."

Anakin shrugged her off, and Ashara glared at her friend. "We are going to stay and fight. And I think I know how to beat Grievous at his own game."

The togruta sighed, but listened to Anakin's plan. She had to admit, it was a good one, but she also had a feeling that something bad was going to happen to Anakin. As he and Rex left to carry out the plan, Ashara stayed with Ahsoka in the command center to oversee everything. 

"Resolute command to Gold Leader", Ahsoka called to Anakin. "We are standing by."

"Enemy closing to zone six", a clone nearby told the Jedi commander. "Zone five. Zone four. Zone three. They're right on top of us. Should we commence firing?"

"No", Ashara said. "Wait."

The ship rocked as the enemy fired upon them, sending Ashara stumbling back. She caught herself on the edge of the holotable, before she pushed herself upright. 

"We're outgunned", Ahsoka said, her voice filled with worry. "We're not going to last a mynock minute out here."

"Hang on, Ahsoka", Anakin's voice came through. "We've got em right where we want em."

Ashara saw one of their cruisers going down on the map, and she winced. "Anakin, there's too many of them. We have to pull back now!"

"No!" he snapped. A few minutes later, he spoke again. "Ahsoka, they're in position. Unveil our little surprise."

"Right away, master", Ahsoka said before she changed who she was communicating to. "Rex, old boy, it's time you joined the party."

"With pleasure, sir", Rex said with quite a bit of enthusiasm. Ashara chuckled lightly at that, before she turned her attention to the clones manning the cannons.

"Forward cannon, you're up!" she called. They instantly started firing on the enemy ships, and Ashara watched as they started to fall one by one. She started to relax, but that bad feeling she got earlier still wouldn't go away.