Chapter Twenty-Four

Ashara shot up, breathing heavily. She looked around, and recognized the medbay of the Jedi Temple. She pressed a hand to her forehead. 

"What happened?" she whispered to herself.

"You were so distraught over losing the rest of your squad that Obi-wan needed to put you to sleep so we could get you here", Anakin answered from beside her, catching her by surprise. "But you were out for much longer than we anticipated, and we don't really know why."

Ashara frowned, her mind going back to her dream. Well... more like memories. 

"I don't know why either. All I know is that I dreamt of when we first met", she said softly. "Of you instantly welcoming me into your family, and comforting me when I was homesick."

Anakin smiled sadly. "I know. You were talking out loud for some of it. Startled Rex when you suddenly shouted  that you missed your parents."

Ashara froze. "Rex was here?" Anakin smirked.

"He was. Cody pulled him away though, calling him to go to a mission briefing."

Ashara gave him a look. "If Rex was pulled away, shouldn't you have been pulled away as well?"

Anakin gave her a sheepish smile. "Ahsoka is going in my place?"

The togruta rolled her eyes. "Before you know it, Ahsoka will be leading all your missions." She started getting up, not wanting to stay in the sick bay for any longer.

"Says who?" Anakin asked. "You don't know what it's like to have a padawan."

Ashara chuckles. "No, I don't. And I don't think I ever will, honestly. I just... I don't think it's for me, you know?"

"Hey, that's what I thought too, but it's actually been really nice."

Ashara chuckled softly as she and Anakin walked out of the medbay. They wandered and talked for a while before the togruta got lost in thought. She stopped walking and started staring out a window. 

Deep down, she still missed her parents, though she could barely remember what they looked like. She wondered if they knew what happened to her. She wondered if they knew she was a Jedi now. 

"Ash?" Anakin asked, resting a hand on her shoulder, snapping her out of her thoughts. "Are you okay?"

Ashara was about to nod, but she hesitated. She thought back to how she lost the last of her squad. At that time she was filled with a deep rage and anger. As she thought about those feelings, they quickly rose up in her, and she grew fearful. She was afraid that she would soon become more susceptible to the dark side. Especially with how she felt about Rex. Those would not do her any good.

"Anakin, there's something I need to", she said suddenly. "I need to leave. I need to find my center. I'll come back, when I've found that, all right?"

Anakin frowned, but as he looked into Ashara's eyes, he nodded. "I'll keep the council off your tail", he promised. The togruta sent him a grateful smile, and hurried through the hallways. She didn't know where she was going to go, but she was planning on following the force. The force would guide her, just as it has guided other Jedi throughout the ages. It was time to forge her own path.