Chapter Fifty-Four

Ashara stormed around her ship angrily. She was so mad about what happened. Ahsoka, no longer part of the Jedi Order. That just wasn't right! Ahsoka was innocent! Why couldn't the council see that?

She took a deep breath, and as she did, she knew what she had to do. She had to find out who was truly responsible, like Ahsoka had tried to do. And she knew exactly where to start...

Down in the lower levels, Ashara tracked down a certain sith apprentice turned bounty hunter. If she was going to get answers, she would only get them from Ventress. She quickly found the force-user, and jumped down behind her. 

"Ventress", she called darkly. The bounty hunter turned and threw her back with the force. Ashara grunted, but continued on her way. "I just want to talk!"

Ventress turned and glared at her. "I want nothing to do with Jedi."

"I know", Ashara said. "But I'm trying to find out the truth surrounding Ahsoka, and you were the only one she's had contact with since she ran away."

Ventress frowned. "That's not true. She contacted the Temple. She spoke to someone named... Barriss."

Ashara's eyes widened. She knew the padawan Ventress was talking about. She and Ahsoka had been close.

"If it is her, she will have my lightsabers", Ventress added. Ashara nodded. 

"Thank you, Ventress. This will help me out a lot."

Ventress scoffed. "And what good will it do me?"

"You don't die by my hands", Ashara spat. She turned away, only to see a familiar figure standing not too far away. She sighed.

"Anakin, she's not it", she called out. "I know who is though."

Anakin stepped forward into the light. "Who is it?" 

"I'll explain along the way. We need to get to her before Ahsoka's trial is over."

Anakin nodded, and they hurried back to the Jedi Temple. When Ashara was done talking, he was thoroughly angered. They made it back to the temple, and they went to Barriss' room. Anakin went in while Ashara waited outside. It wasn't long before Barriss came out with Ventress' lightsabers. Ashara immediately attacked, giving Barriss little time to react. She barely got the blades up in time. Anakin came up behind her and wrapped his saber around her neck.

"You're going to tell the truth to everyone", he hissed. Barriss only hissed back, but she didn't fight. Ashara called over a couple temple guards, who immediately took Barriss into the custody.

The group of five hurried over to the detention center, where Ahsoka's trial was taking place. Anakin very loudly interrupted, and revealed the true culprit.

Ashara felt the feelings of betrayal radiating off of Ahsoka as she caught sight of Barriss and she felt sorry for the young togruta. Barriss began to give her confession.

"I did it", Barriss said. "because I've come to realize what many people in the Republic have come to realize, that the Jedi are the ones responsible for this war, that we've so lost our way that we have become villains in this conflict, that we are the ones that should be put on trial, all of us!"

Ashara scoffed, knowing that that was not true, and just the thoughts of a twisted mind. 

"And my attack on the temple was an attack on what the Jedi have become", Barriss continued. "An army fighting for the dark side, fallen from the light we once held so dear. This republic is failing! It's only a matter of time." 

Anakin pulled Barriss away so she would stop speaking while Ahsoka watched. Ashara could feel her feelings of betrayal and hurt from all the way over here, that she suspected that no matter how the council offered to fix their mistake, she would not be coming back to the Order. She couldn't blame her. The council could not be trusted with decisions such as this one. 

~~~~~~

Ashara stood in the Jedi Council Room with a few of the Jedi Masters, Anakin and Ahsoka. The council was attempting to apologize for their mistake. 

"Ahsoka, I am so sorry", Anakin said. "about everything."

"You have our most humble apologies, little 'soka", Master Plo Koon said. Ashara smiled softly at the nickname for Ahsoka, but she knew that it would not be enough. Ahsoka had already made up her mind. "The council was wrong to accuse you."

"You have shown such great strength and resilience in your struggle to prove your innocence", Master Tiin said. 

"This is the true sign of a Jedi Knight", Master Mundi said. Ashara was surprised. They wanted to accept Ahsoka back as a Jedi Knight? The togruta knew her friend wouldn't accept, but she said nothing.

"This was actually your great trial", Windu said. Ashara sent him a glare for the way he said that. He said it like that was going to make everything better, but because of the actions of the Council, Ahsoka couldn't trust them anymore. "Now we see that. We understand that the force works in mysterious ways, and because of this trial, you have become a greater Jedi than you would have otherwise."

"Back into the order, you may come", Master Yoda said. 

"They're asking you back, Ahsoka", Anakin said as he stood in front of her. He reached behind him to pull something out of a pocket. Ashara saw Ahsoka's padawan beads, and she sighed softly. "I'm asking you back."

Ashara didn't say anything, and just watched as Ahsoka made a move to grab it, before closing Anakin's hand around it. Ahsoka didn't say anything, just looked up at her old master with a pained expression. 

"I'm sorry, master", she said softly. "But I'm not coming back." She turned and walked away, and Ashara could feel the shock and pain radiating of Anakin. She walked over to her brother figure.

"Go talk to her", she said softly. "Say your goodbyes. Choose to let her go, like she is asking you to do."

Anakin ran out of the room, following Ahsoka, and Ashara stood there, knowing that Master Yoda did not approve of Anakin chasing after Ahsoka. But she knew that he needed the closure. He always did. She turned to the Jedi Masters, before words slipped out of her mouth that she didn't mean to let slip out of her mouth.

"Really, Master Windu?" she spat. "'This was actually your great trial?' Did you really think that was what Ahsoka needed to hear at that moment? You guys betrayed her trust, and the entire Republic was against her for a crime she didn't commit, and then she finds out that one of her closest friends was the one who set her up? Can you imagine the hurt and betrayal that she had to have been feeling? And that was what you came up with to say? And the way you said it, don't even get me started on that!"

"Ashara, you need to calm down", Obi-Wan said. Ashara just turned her glare on him. 

"You knew Ahsoka, but you still sided against her", she spat. "You guys refused to believe the words of those who were closest to her. And now we've lost a Jedi who was a valuable friend, and a wonderful ally to have. This is why the people are becoming fed up with the Jedi. This is why the war continues to go on, because you refuse to take a step out of the boundaries that the Senate set for us! Are we not an entity outside of the Republic, outside of the Separatists. Aren't we supposed to be a neutral party, who tries to keep the peace?"

"We have kept the peace", Windu stated calmly. Ashara turned her steely eyes on him.

"It takes two to fight, Master Windu", she said coldly. "The separatists may have started this war, but we are enabling it. Keep that in mind."

She turned and stormed out of the room, leaving several concerned Jedi Master behind her. She only hoped her words had some sort of impact. She also hoped that her words and brash speaking would not get her in trouble.