Chapter Fifty-Seven

"So, what exactly is clone force 99?" Ashara asked Cody after overhearing a Kix and Jesse talking about the clone force. 

"Experimental unit clone force 99", Cody began explaining as a shuttle landed in front of them, nearly taking out a couple dozen clones, who only survived because they leapt out of the way. Ashara wasn't sure that she would like this group that much. "They're defective clones with, uh, desirable mutations."

"99, eh?" Rex said as if it had some meaning to it. "Nice touch." Ashara wasn't sure why the number 99 had any significance, but it meant something to Rex, and the rest of the clones, and that was enough for her.

"They call themselves the Bad Batch", Cody stated, looking back toward the shuttle as some stairs moved away from the side of the hull, allowing for the squad to leave the premises of their ship.

A group of four clones dressed in similar black and red armor came down the stairs, and Ashara tilted her head. They definitely weren't like normal clones, she could see that already. Mostly because of the hulking clone standing at the back of the group. He was the first to take off his helmet with a grin on his face.

"The cavalry has arrived!" he shouted. Ashara smiled, this clone seemed to be friendly.

As the Bad Batch walked toward them, the Jedi could hear Kix and Jesse murmuring together about the clones, but she ignored it. What seemed to be the leader of the squad pulled off his helmet, as did the other two. The one leading the pack connected hands with Cody, in a sort of greeting.

"Sergeant, good to see you again", Cody said. 

"You too, sir", the sergeant said, his voice husky. Cody turned to the group standing next to him.

"This is Hunter", he introduced. Ashara nodded politely at Hunter, who did the same. His eyes never left her as he spoke.

"Sorry we're late, Commander", he spoke. "We were puttin' down an insurrection on Yalbec Prime when your comm came in. Had a few unforeseen complications."

The large clone laughed loudly. "Ever fought a male Yalbec?" He was looking at the group of clones next to the Ashara when he asked.

"Um... no", Jesse said. "Can't say I have."

"You're lucky", the large clone said, getting down into Jesse's face. "Only way to kill them is with one of these!" With those words he pulled out a vibro-blade."

"That's right", Hunter said, looking over at the large clone. "Wrecker here cut off the Queen's stinger while she was still alive. That's why all those males tried to eat us." Ashara chuckled slightly, and Hunter's gaze swiveled back over to her, narrowing slightly. However, nothing was said between the two due to another one of the Bad Batch cutting between Wrecker and Hunter and spewing information.

"Technically, they were trying to mate with us", he said. Ashara saw Hunter roll his eyes in her peripheral vision, and figured that he didn't find that information useful. "And for your information, the stinger of a Yalbec Queen is a delicacy on some planets."

"They call him Tech", Cody introduced.

"Yeah, he can fill your head with useless information for hours", Hunter said as he nudged his teammate. He tossed a thumb over his shoulder at the last member of the Bad Batch. "Crosshair, on the other hand, he's not much of a conversationalist, but when you have to hit a precise target from ten klicks, Crosshair's your man."

Ashara found this all to be very useful infomation, and stored it away for later use, knowing that they would need Clone Force 99's help elsewhere in the war.

"So, who's in charge here?" Hunter said, his gaze swiveling between Ashara and Cody. "I've been doing all the talking with the commander here, but I figure when we've got a Jedi among us, they're the ones in charge."

Ashara chuckled. "I am only here for the experience, I'm afraid. Cody is taking the lead with this one, as he knows the most of your abilities. I had never even heard of you guys until a few minutes ago."

Hunter nodded, not saying anything, but Tech cut in. "We have heard of you though, General Ki."

Ashara was surprised, looking at the near-sighted clone. At least, she assumed he was near-sighted since he was wearing vision correcting goggles.

"Why have you heard of me?" she asked. "I'm nothing special."

"On the contrary", Tech started. "You were the first Jedi to ever lead an experimental squad, with the female clones."

"Wait, this is her?" Hunter asked, looking at Tech, surprise lacing his voice.

"Yes, couldn't you tell?" Tech asked sarcastically, looking down at his datapad. Hunter pouted for a moment, and Ashara had to keep from laughing at how childish he looked in that moment.

"Anyway, when we've worked with Jedi in the past, they've always mentioned how our fighting style is just as chaotic as yours tends to be", Tech explained.

Ashara was surprised. "I didn't think my fighting style was chaotic."

Rex snorted. "General, your fighting style is nothing but chaotic."

Ashara shot a glare at him, which just made him chuckle. She rolled her eyes and turned back to the group. Hunter changed the subject, looking at Commander Cody as a gunship came up behind them. 

"So, Commander- what kind of suicide mission do you have for us this time?"

"Let's get going", Cody said. "We'll brief you on the way."

The group of nine walked onto the gunship, with Wrecker sitting with his feet hanging over the edge. Hopefully it would be a nice and easy flight to their destination. Ashara knew better than to hope.