Chapter Seventeen

Ashara stood behind Anakin and Rex, next to Master Adi Gallia. They were going to go rescue a member of the Jedi Council, Master Eeth Koth, from General Grievous. Her squad was with her, ready and excited to be part of this mission. They hadn't been on many since Tha died, and she knew that they had been itching to get back onto the field.

"Are you ready?" a holographic image of Obi-wan spoke.

"Ready and waiting", Anakin replied from the pilot's seat. 

"I shall engage the separatist fleet and send you the coordinates of Grievous' command ship", the Jedi Master told the two knights. 

"Just make sure you get it right", Anakin told his old master. Ashara snorted at his tone of voice.

"The way you're talking, Anakin, makes it sound like you were the master instead of Obi-wan", she said. Rex chuckled quietly, and Ashara has to fight against wanting to glance at him and smile. She had to pretend like everything was okay, and she figured that the best way to do that was to separate herself and Rex. Even if it tore at every fiber of her being to do so.

"How do you plan on getting Grievous aboard your ship?" Master Gallia asked. Ashara squashed down everything she was feeling, knowing that the master could likely sense it and was wondering why the young knight was hurting so much. 

"Not to worry", Obi-wan said. "The good general and I have a history. I'm sure he'll want to even the score face-to-face."

"Meanwhile, we'll jump in undetected and board the command ship", Anakin said.

"If Master Koth is still alive, we will find him", Master Gallia said. Ashara nodded in agreement.

"Hopefully by the end of this mission, we will have saved Master Koth and captured Grievous", Obi-wan said, but Ashara knew he wasn't optimistic. She wasn't either. Grievous was a tricky one to capture. The holographic image disappeared, and the togruta watched as the rest of the fleet jumped to hyperspace, leaving them behind. Until they got the go from Obi-wan, they would be waiting. 

While they waited, it was deathly quiet. Ashara could barely hear the others breathing, and she let out a silent sigh. She risked a glance over at Rex, only to find him looking at her. She quickly turned her head away, ignoring the flash of sadness that went through her system. She hoped that Obi-wan would contact them soon.

Rex looked away at the same time Ashara did. He wanted to tear himself apart for his mistake. If he just hadn't lost control of himself when he saw that she was awake after being in a coma for seven months, then everything would be normal. There wouldn't be this weird tension between them. His mistake had cost him a friend. 

He knew that that if he mentioned having lost her as friend to Ashara, she would deny it. But he knew that he had messed up; she'd been avoiding him ever since. She wouldn't even look at him anymore. She was giving him the cold shoulder, and he deserved it. 

Rex continually beat himself up, not noticing the worried glances he was getting from Anakin. He only managed to pull himself out of his thoughts when the computer in front of him beeped.

"We are receiving the coordinates from General Kenobi", he informed the generals. He could feel Ashara's gaze on him for a brief moment before it disappeared. 

"How close are you going to jump in next to Grievous' ship?" Gallia asked. Ashara chuckled softly as Anakin answered.

"Pretty close" the Jedi Knight said confidently. "Buckle up boys."

"And girls", Ashara added. 

"Define 'pretty close'", Master Gallia said.

"Close enough to get the job done", Anakin said, not really elaborating. Ashara knew he wouldn't. She watched as they jumped into hyperspace. It went quiet again as they waited for the jump out of hyperspace. The togruta was grateful when Anakin spoke.