Chapter Forty-Five

Ashara stood next to Ahsoka, watching as Teriko led the group of younglings to the ship they stood in front of. They were all going to Ilum to get a kyber crystal, so the younglings could build a lightsaber, and so Teriko could build a second lightsaber.

The council had put Ahsoka in charge of this challenge, to test her leadership skills, and Ashara was more than happy to follow the younger togruta's lead. She had certainly grown from when they first met, heading to meet Anakin on Christophsis. Ashara couldn't help but chuckle at the memory of Anakin pretty much denying Ahsoka as his padawan when they first met.

"Hurry, younglings", Ahsoka said calmly. When the younglings were all gathered in front of her, she continued to speak. "You have proved to be the top of your class. And so now is the time of the Gathering. For a Jedi, there is no greater challenge or honor."

"What is the Gathering, Padawan Tano", the human male of the group spoke up. Ashara knew his name to be Petro.

"Petro, Ganodi, Byph, Katooni, Zatt, and Gungi", Ahsoka said, naming all of them, but not saying Teriko, because he already knew what this was. "The time has come for you to build your own lightsaber." She held out one of her lightsabers as an example of what it could be.

The group of younglings cheered, talking amongst themselves. Ahsoka brought their attention back to her.

"Be warned: this is no simple task, and many perils lie ahead of you. Where we are going, there is no place more sacred to the Jedi."

Time passed quickly as they left Coruscant and began the journey to Ilum. Teriko was keeping the youngling occupied by telling them about some of the battles he had been too, and while it hadn't been many, he had done well in all of them. Ashara was pleased with his progress, and hoped the council was too. She was doing her best, even if her best wasn't good enough. 

Ahsoka walked up to Ashara. "He's a natural with kids", she commented. Ashara smirked at Ahsoka knowingly, and the togruta shook her head, denying everything that her friend was thinking. 

"It's not like that!" she mumbled. "I just... he stands out from the crowd, you know?"

Ashara chuckled. "He's a good kid. I hope he stays that way."

Ahsoka's blush faded. "I hope so too", she said softly. "He's really sweet, and kind to everyone around him, especially the kids."

Ashara chuckled. "I'm glad you can see him as he is, Ahsoka. You two would make quite a cute couple.

Ahsoka's blush deepened, and she scurried away, using the fact that the systen was alerting to them about approaching Ilum as an excuse to escape. While Ashara went to land the ship, she got the kids ready to leave the ship and go to the ice caves. The older togruta was quick to put on a cloak as well, to avoid the freezing cold air that she knew would be outside. She honestly hated coming here, because she didn't like the cold, but her padawan was going, therefore she had to go as well.

They landed, and started walking out in the snow and ice. The group approached a cliff, and Ahsoka knelt down to inspect that circular pad on the ground that the younglings had failed to notice.

"It's a dead end", Petro exclaimed. Ahsoka just looked over shoulder and sent a knowing smirk over to Ashara, who returned it.

"Younglings, outstretch your hands, and focus the force", she said. "Together, and only together, can we enter."

Ashara followed Ahsoka's instructions, as did Teriko and the younglings. Ashara smiled as the cliffside shifted, moving downward to reveal the entrance. The younglings were in awe.

"Now hurry", Ahsoka said. "The sun is already risen, and we must begin."

The group moved inside into a large circular room, with four statues placed symmetrically along the walls. Master Yoda waited in the center of the room for them, meditating quietly.

"Master Yoda", Zatt greeted. The younglings all bowed their heads in respect for the Jedi master.

"The force made physical, a Jedi is", Master Yoda said, beginning the lesson that he taught every youngling the first time they came to Ilum. "Comes great responsibility with that, yes?" The younglings all nodded, and Ashara smiled softly. She remembered coming here her first time, and her second time for her second kyber crystal once she mastered fighting with her first. The same reason Teriko was there with them today, to find a second kyber crystal.

"Protect others, how does a Jedi, hmm?" He used the force to pull his lightsaber from his belt, and turned it on front of the younglings, the saber floating in the air in front of them. "Build your own lightsaber, you shall. But first, harvest your crystal, each one of you must."

"Master Yoda?" Katooni said, gaining the attention of the old master. "Why is Padawan Che here if he has already built a lightsaber?"

Yoda smiled, looking to Ashara, who returned the smile. "Much like his master, Teriko is. Here to get a second crystal, he is. Wanting to fight with two blades, he is."

Teriko smiled at the little green Jedi's words, while the younglings stared at him at awe. Yoda continue speaking about the crystals. "Heart of the lightsaber, the crystal is. Focuses the force from the Jedi, it does." He returned his lightsaber to his belt before he focused on the ceiling above, shifting things up there to create a more powerful sunbeam to focus on the ice covered door. The ice melted quickly, a steady stream of water running down the stairs, and spreading out across the floor.

"If Jedi you are to become, enter the crystal cave, you must. Trust yourself, trust each other, and succeed, you will." The younglings nodded, and moved toward the entrance. Once they were at the top of the stairs, Ahsoka spoke in a warning tone.

"Once you have found your crystal, do not remain inside. As daylight ends, the door will freeze over again, and you will be trapped."

"For how long?" Ganodi asked. Ahsoka shrugged and stated the obvious.

"For one rotation", she answered. "There will be nothing anyone can do for you."

"How will we know which crystal to pick?" Petro asked. Ashara smiled, and looked to Teriko to answer the question. He grinned.

"You'll know when you know", he said softly. "But you have trust yourself. That's how you get out of here."

The group nodded and headed inside. Ashara watched as her padawan disappeared into the crystal caves, and she found herself growing worried, but she forced it away, telling herself that Teriko could take care of himself. He had grown in the past several months since she had met him, and she was very proud of who he had become.

She just hoped that he would survive long enough to see the end of this war.