Chapter Fifty-Six

"A PARASITE?" Rex shouted as he paced back and forth in Ashara's quarters. "THEY'RE SAYING IT'S BLOODY PARASITE?!" Ashara merely watched sadly. "WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BROTHERS- THAT WAS NOT A PARASITE!"

Ashara stood and gently rested a hand on his shoulder, which he almost wrenched out of her reach, but she didn't let him. She instead pulled him close, and didn't let go, under he sagged from exhaustion. She knew he hadn't been sleeping well, not since Fives died. He'd had nightmares almost every night, and often sought her for comfort. 

"Rex", she said soothingly. "I know it's not the outcome either of us wanted, or believe, but we can't let what the Chancellor said get under our skin."

Rex let out a soft sob. "He was my brother, Ash. He deserves justice."

"I know he does", Ashara said. "And we will get him that. But right now, we need to do things by the book. Record a holovideo of what Fives told us. Even if it gets shoved into a corner somewhere, it's still there in case we need it."

Rex nodded, but didn't move, and instead brought his arms up around her back, finally returning her hug.

"Thank you, Ash", he murmured into her lekku. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Ashara chuckled. "Well you wouldn't be risking getting caught with a Jedi alone in her quarters now, would you?"

Rex chuckled, and squeezed her tighter. "No, I suppose I wouldn't. Though, I wouldn't change this for the world. Not when I'm happy to be right beside you."

Ashara smiled at the nickname. "I'm happy to be right beside you too."

Ashara's comm-link began to beep and the togruta sighed. Pressing a button, Anakin's voice started to come through.

"We have a new mission", he said. Ashara sighed. 

"Alright. Rex and I will meet you on the bridge."

"Ooh?" Anakin asked. The Jedi could practically see the smirk on his face.

"Shut up, Bananakin", she rolled her eyes. "Nothing happened." With that she turned off the comm-link and turned to Rex.

"C'mon, let's go." She walked out the door, and together they walked onto the bridge. Anakin was waiting there for them with a smirk, to which Ashara immediately rolled her eyes at. Again.

"Don't start. What's the mission?"

"We're going to Anaxes."

~~~~~~

Ashara stood at a holotable with Anakin and Master Windu. It had been weeks since they had first arrived on Anaxes, and they were losing terribly, which was not good. They needed to hold Anaxes or else they would lose the war. 

"The droids have overrun our main production facility", Master Windu said. "It won't be long before the Separatists take Anaxes, compromising our entire reserve fleet."

Anakin didn't say anything and instead looked toward the two clones coming toward them, Rex and Commander Cody.

"Pardon the interruption, General, but Rex here has a good theory about why we keep, uh... losing", Cody said, gesturing to Rex.

"Please, Captain", Master Windu said, looking to Rex. The clone captain stepped forward, pulling something up on the holotable.

"The droid army uses analytics to predict our strategy. The first time we use a strategy, it's effective", Rex started. "The next, less so. In fact, the more we use a certain strategy, the less effective it becomes. They learn our tendencies, and use that data against us. To counter them, we are constantly working out ways to vary our attack."