Chapter Twelve

Rex sighed softly as he realized that he had no idea where General Ki could be. He thought her quarters might've been by General Skywalker's and Commander Tano's, but there was nothing else in this part of the ship. He walked around the corner, only to bump into the exact togruta he was looking for. She fell to the floor, again, having not expected him to be there. 

Rex chuckled softly as he shook his head, realizing exactly what had happened. It was just like the first time she ran into him.

"Not paying attention again, General?" he asked as he helped her up. An embarrassed look crossed her face briefly before she chuckled softly. Rex's heart skipped a beat at the sound. He always forgot how much he loved hearing her laugh until he actually heard her laugh.

"I told you, Rex, when we're off duty, you're to call me Ashara", the general said. Rex had to fight back a blush at the sound of his name rolling off her tongue. He wasn't used to it, she only ever called him Captain or Captain Rex. Never just Rex.

"Sorry, si-" Rex caught himself. "Ashara." Her name felt weird rolling off his tongue, as he wasn't used to calling her Ashara. He bit back a smile when he noticed her cheeks turning a faint pink. He wasn't sure she was aware she was blushing. It was a cute look on her. He would have to use her name more often, Rex decided. 

"What are you doing over here anyway?" she asked. "The only rooms on this part of the ship are Anakin's and Ahsoka's."

As Rex explained that he was actually looking for her, he saw Ahsoka turn around a corner only to pause when she saw him talking to Ashara. She sent him a grin, and a thumbs up. He had to fight back a reaction so the older togruta wouldn't notice the younger one. He was grateful when the red togruta disappeared back around the corner.

"My quarters are actually right next to my squad's barracks", Ashara explained. "Why were you looking for me?"

"Anakin and Obi-wan have been captured by pirates. The Jedi council is meeting the pirate leader Hondo's requests. Representative Binks from Naboo is delivering it."

Rex watched as a mixture of emotions crossed her face, the last one being a mixture of sadness and frustration. He frowned as she sighed and turned away from him.

"Thanks for letting me know, Rex", she said softly. At that moment, Rex wondered what she was doing over here. He wondered if she was going to talk to the General, and he felt a pang of jealousy sweep over him as he remembered how close she was to him. 

"Si- Ashara, if you don't mind me asking, why were over here anyway?" Rex had to bite back the habit of calling her sir. He hoped it meant more to her that he was trying to use her name, though he couldn't see her face to know if she felt the way he hoped.

"I was hoping to talk to Anakin", Ashara admitted. "He's the only one that really understands me and everything I go through." Another wave of jealousy hit Rex, and he had to bite his lip to stop him from cursing Skywalker out loud.

"Well, uh", Rex cut himself off before he could say what his jealous mind was thinking. "Nevermind."

At that moment, Ashara turned around, and faced Rex, a curious smile playing on her mouth. Rex found himself staring as she spoke.

"What were you going to say, Rex?" 

Rex looked away, bringing up a hand to try and his embarrassed face. He could feel it burning. "I was going to say, that if you want someone to talk to... I'm willing to listen."

Rex felt her hand touch his shoulder, and he dropped his hand, looking back at Ashara. "Thank you, Rex", she said, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "I might have to take you up on that offer at some point."

Rex nodded. "Of course, general." He bit back a groan as he realized that he fell back into habit of calling her general or sir. He caught a glimpse of disappointment as she turned and walked down the hall. He opened his mouth to call out to her, but he realized he had nothing to say. So he just stood there, staring after her, wanting to say her name, but being unable to. His heart stopped when she glanced back, then hurried around the corner.

As soon as she was out of sight, he leaned against the wall and closed his eyes, letting out a quiet groan. He stayed that way for a few seconds, only to yell when he opened his eyes to see a smirking face of Ahsoka Tano. He let out another groan and let his head fall back against the wall.

"So... you and Master Ki, huh?" Ahsoka chuckled. He shook his head.

"It's never gonna happen, kid, so don't even start" he muttered, not wanting Ahsoka to be getting on his back about his feelings.

"But you like her, don't you?" the commander pressed. Rex opened his eyes and fixed her with a small glare.

"Like I said, kid. It's never going to happen", he nearly spat. He sighed, running a hand across his face. "There's too many regulations. I'd get suspended from the army if I was caught having a romantic relationship with anyone, let alone a Jedi general."

Ahsoka's face fell. "Yeah. And if Master Ki returned your feelings, she'd probably get kicked out of the Order. We have this whole rule about not forming attachments. I don't really understand it, but I suppose it'll make sense when I'm older."

Rex shook his head as the irony of the situation set in. He let out a tired chuckle. "I think I'm going to go get some rest, commander. It's been a long day."

Ahsoka nodded, and Rex walked away, following the footsteps of the Jedi general he found himself beginning to have feelings for. It was a first for him, and he didn't know how he was going to handle it. They didn't exactly talk about what you're supposed to do when you find yourself in possession of these feelings. Rex sighed, trying to allow his thoughts to overwhelm him. He was glad to find himself in the barracks, where he was able to rest easily, without the thoughts of a certain yellow togruta torturing him.