Chapter Eleven

Ashara walked into her squad's barracks. They were quieter than usual, and the Jedi knew they were grieving. They were gathered in a circle on the floor, sharing stories from training with Tha. She gave a sad smile, before she joined them. When Meeva finished telling her story, the togruta spoke quietly.

"I know losing a close friend, a sister is hard", she said softly. "I know you all have wonderful memories with her. I didn't have enough time to get to know her as well as you all did, but I know I'm grateful to have known her. She was a strong woman, not afraid to get into a fight, and she was willing to die for you guys. I don't know if this helps, but as a Jedi, I have been taught that death is not the end. After we die, we become part of the Living Force, which is what I have a limited amount of control over. And I know that as long as we keep her memory alive in our hearts, she is never truly gone."

The clones were quiet, and Ashara gave them a gentle smile. "You're on leave until the day after tomorrow. Allow yourself to grieve through that time, and return to this war stronger than you were before."

She stood and left the room. She wasn't sure if what she said helped, but she could feel her squad's relief at not having to fight in a war while having to fight through grief as well. Unfortunately, Ashara got no such luxury. As a Jedi, she wasn't supposed to form attachments, but she found herself growing more attached to her squad everyday. She was already attached to Anakin, he was one of her closest friends. Ahsoka was quickly finding a place in her heart as well. And Rex... Ashara didn't know where Rex stood in her life. He wasn't quite a friend just yet, as they barely interacted outside of battle, but there was also just something about him that stuck out to her. He had a place in her heart, but the togruta didn't quiet know what that place was.

She sighed as she approached Anakin's quarters. If anyone would understand, he would. She turned around the corner and bumped into a hard chest-plate. She grunted as she fell back onto her butt. She looked up to see Rex, a surprised look on his face. A soft chuckle escaped his lips though, when he realized who it was.

"Not paying attention again, General?" he asked, an amused smile crossing his face as he helped her up.

"I told you, Rex, when we're off duty, you're to call me Ashara", the togruta chuckled. Rex smiled at her.

"Sorry, si- Ashara", he corrected himself. 

"There you go", she grinned, ignoring her heart fluttering at the sound of her name. "What are you doing over here anyway? The only rooms on this part of the ship are Anakin and Ahsoka's quarters."

Rex tilted his head away. "I was actually looking for you. I didn't know where you were, so I assumed you were in your quarters, but then I realized I didn't know where your quarters where so I took a guess that they were over by General Skywalker's and Commander Tano's."

Ashara chuckled, remembering that the young togruta had been promoted to commander of the 501st after the mission to destroy the listening post. "My quarters are actually right next to my squad's barracks. Why were you looking for me?"

"Anakin and Obi-wan have been captured by pirates. The Jedi council is meeting the pirate leader Hondo's requests. Representative Binks from Naboo is delivering it."

Ashara didn't know much about Representative Binks, but she heard from Obi-wan that he was a bit of nutjob. She hoped that everything would go alright. She sighed softly as she realized talking Anakin would have to wait.

"Thank you for letting me know, Rex", she said as she turned away from him, trying to hide her frustration.

"Si- Ashara, if you don't mind me asking, why were over here anyway?"

"I was hoping to talk to Anakin", Ashara admitted. "He's the only one that really understands me and everything I go through."

"Well, uh", Rex started before he trailed off. "Nevermind." Ashara turned back toward Rex, a curious smile crossing over her face.

"What were going to say, Rex?"

Rex hid his face partially with his hand. "I was going to say, that if you wanted someone to talk to... I'm always willing to listen."

Ashara had to bite back a wider smile, not fully understanding why the offer made her so happy. She rested a hand on the captain's shoulder, and he let his hand drop.

"Thank you, Rex", she said softly. "I might have to take you up on the offer at some point."

"Of course, general", he said automatically. Ashara was slightly disappointed that he didn't say her name, but she didn't correct him, feeling how uncomfortable he was. She turned to walk away, her skirt swishing around her feet. She sighed softly, unsure of why she felt so annoyed at herself for not taking up the offer right then and there. Why she was afraid to be open, to be vulnerable around the captain. She silently cursed herself, but didn't turn back toward the captain til she reached the end of the hall. Just before she rounded the corner, she glanced back and saw Rex's honey eyes staring after her. With her face burning, she ducked around the corner to hide her red cheeks.