Chapter Twenty-Six

Ashara was helping her adoptive mother out in the house, when Anakin came rushing in. Sand blew sharply against her lekku and montrals, to which she winced, but didn't react other than that. The wind dropped, and the togruta let out a relieved sigh.

She looked at her older brother and raised an eyebrow. "Ani, you usually get back before sandstorms hit. Did Watto hold you up?"

"I apologize", an unfamiliar voice spoke. "He paused for a moment to help us."

Ashara only just noticed the three figures standing behind Anakin. One was a gungan, who was looking around, seemingly not paying attention, though Ashara could faintly sense that he was actually. The one who had spoken was a human male, much like Anakin, but he had long hair, and wore a long brown cloak that covered most of his body. The third was a beautiful  young woman, who wore simple clothes, and seemed fairly young compared to the man. Ashara sensed no bad intentions coming from them, but she remained silent. 

"Mom, can they stay with us? They can't get back to their ship until the sandstorm settles down."

Shmi sighs softly, before she nods at the nine year old boy. Ashara walks over to them, and looks up at the tall man. He looks down at her, confusion crossing his face.

"What's a young togruta doing here? They don't normally do well in hot, arid climates like this one", he asked as he crouched down.

Ashara gave him a small smile. "I was taken from my home planet when I was four, and brought here. I was sold to Watto, and he told Mom to take care of me."

Shmi comes up behind Ashara and hugs her from behind. "She's been part of our family ever since", the kind woman says, smiling at her adopted daughter. "Anakin welcomed her in the moment he saw her."

"How old are you now, little one?" the man asked. Ashara grins at him. 

"I turn seven tomorrow! Watto's giving all of us the day off to celebrate! I convinced him to!"

Shmi pulled away, and though Ashara didn't see it, a look crossed her face. It disappeared quickly though.

"My name is Shmi, by the way. The togruta is Ashara, though she now prefers to go by Ash, thanks to Anakin."

Ashara grins up at her adoptive mother, before looking back at the man, who had stood up. "My name is Qui-gon Jinn. The gungan here is Jar Jar Binks, and the young lady here is Padmé."

Anakin grabbed Padmé's hand, and dragged her to his room. Ashara rolled her eyes, knowing that he was going to show her C-3P0. He'd been working on that droid for so long now. He started soon after the togruta got there. Ashara went back to cutting up some vegetables for dinner, while Shmi kept their unexpected guests company.

"You seemed a little worried when Ashara said that she convinced Watto to give you guys the day off tomorrow."

Shmi sighed. "It's honestly weird. It works on most everyone, except for Anakin and a few other people, but if she asks a certain way, she can usually get what she wants."

Qui-gon hummed. "Do you mind if I ask her to demonstrate it for me?"

Shmi hesitated before shaking her head. Qui-gon got up, and approached the young girl chopping up a small green vegetable.

"Ashara?" Qui-gon said softly, trying not to scare the young girl. "Can I ask you something?"

Ashara turned to look at the older male, and nodded. "What is it, Mr. Qui-gon?

"Your mother says that you asked Watto a specific way to get the day off tomorrow. I was wondering if you could demonstrate it on my friend Jar Jar here?"

Ashara tilted her head. "Sure", she shrugged, before going over to the unsuspecting gungan. "Hey, Mr. Jar Jar!" she said, getting his attention. While she spoke, she lifted up a hand and waved it in front his face. "You will hand me that fruit right there."

"I will hand you that fruit right there", Jar Jar said as he grabbed the fruit and handed it to her. Ashara grinned, before tossing it back to it's spot in the wicker basket on the table.

Qui-gon watched the young girl, impressed with her abilities. He tilted his head, and thanked the young girl, letting her get back to what she was doing previously. Shmi approached him.

"Do you have any idea what she's doing?" she asked softly. "I've tried figuring it out, but I have no idea. She's been slowly teaching it to Anakin, and he's slowly getting better at it too."

Qui-gon hummed. "I know what it is, but I've never seen anyone so young be able to do it, especially one with no proper training. Not only that, but Geonosians aren't very susceptible to Jedi mind tricks. She must be very powerful."

"Proper training?" Shmi asked. Qui-gon nodded.

"I have suspicions that both your children are force sensitive, but there is a test I would like to administer before I can be sure."

Shmi nodded. "I will allow it. If it will help me understand them more, then I will allow it."

Qui-gon nodded his head in thanks before heading to find a quiet spot to contact Obi-wan. His apprentice answered quickly, and the master spoke quietly into his communication device. 

Ashara continued to work on dinner, her mother at her side now to help, and though her expression was calm, her mind was reeling with all that she had overheard. She and Anakin were force-sensitive? Was this man a Jedi? She needed to talk to Anakin about her suspicions, but first she had to finish making dinner.