Chapter Sixty

Ashara walked with Anakin, Rex, and Hunter. They were discussing the information that they had brought back from the Cyber Center.

"Word is the general staff isn't completely behind this mission", Hunter said. Ashara frowned, knowing that the council was hesitant to risk the lives of many clone troopers just to rescue one, but he was a valuable one, and it would be useful to them to get him out of the Separatists hands. If he was even still alive.

"I admit the idea that Echo is still alive is a long shot", Rex sighed.

"I'm sure the council will approve the mission", Anakin said. "Just remember the primary goal is to learn how the Separatists are predicting our strategy, whether it's Echo behind it or not."

"Well, if you want my opinion, sounds like a trap, but me and the boys will tag along anyway, if only to say 'I told you so'", Hunter said. Ashara chuckled.

"Remember how many times I've told you that, Anakin?" she teased. Anakin rolled his eyes.

"I willingly walk into traps, Ash, you know this", he said as he slugged her shoulder. She punched his arm in return. "Just make sure you're ready if we get the go-ahead from General Kenobi."

"If you're certain he'll approve the mission, why wait?" Rex asked eagerly. "Let's get going."

"First, we have that thing to do", Anakin said as he nudged Rex's arm.

"Uh, what thing?" Rex asked, confused. Ashara snickered, knowing exactly what thing Anakin was talking about.

"You know", Anakin pressed.

"We don't have time for that, sir", Rex argued. Ashara nudged his arm.

"Go on, Rex", she said. "Anakin needs your help. Besides, it'll be a while before the council finishes meeting. I'll keep our new friends company, don't worry."

Rex sighed, and followed loyally after Anakin. Hunter watched them go, and the togruta just chuckled. 

"Don't worry, Hunter, they're not doing anything naughty", she said. "Anakin just needs help keeping people out the barracks while he talks to someone on Coruscant."

Hunter nodded in understanding, and started walking away. Ashara followed after him.

"Mind if I hang with you and the Batch?" she asked. "I don't have anything to do at the moment, and it'd be good to get to know you guys a bit better."

Hunter shrugged. "I don't think they'd mind. Besides, you seem to fit into our group."

Ashara smiled and walked next to the sergeant. She could sense him wanting to ask something, but he was holding back. She smiled, and looked to her left to look at the side of Hunter's face.

"What is it?" she asked softly. Hunter almost flinched, before he sighed.

"You and your Jedi senses", he muttered. "I was just wondering... why do you care so much about us clones? Most of the Jedi seem to ignore us, but you and General Skywalker, you seem much more friendly with the clones."

Ashara looked ahead to the shuttle they were approaching. She shrugged. "You guys are human. You've got emotions, and feelings, and things you care about, and things you hate. You and all your brothers... you're a family. I've seen it so much throughout this war, just how much each clone cares about the next one."

"There's something else", Hunter said. Ashara smiled, knowing that he was referring to her feelings for Rex.

"Yes, there is, but this is neither the time, nor the place to talk about that", she said. "Too many people could overhear, and then I would get in trouble."

Hunter nodded, and they boarded the shuttle, where she was greeted by a stare from Crosshair, Tech ignored her, and Wrecker pulled her into a hug. The hug surprised her, and she had to tap the large clones arm to get him to loosen the hug enough so she could talk.

"Can't breathe", she wheezed out. Wrecker immediately released her, and chuckled nervously, while Crosshair cracked a smile, though it disappeared quickly. Ashara studied the interior of the ship, a small smile at how homey it felt. Maybe it was the random scraps of technology pushed into random corners, or the random crates placed here and there, but she already felt the welcoming atmosphere. The smell, however, was anything but welcoming. She didn't know what they did to make it smell so bad, but it did. She didn't bring attention to it, however, and instead focused on the group. 

Hunter had moved to a seat near a computer on the side of the ship, while Crosshair stood on the opposite side of the ship. Tech was in the cockpit, messing with some of the controls. Wrecker had disappeared, and Ashara had no idea where he went. 

It was quiet, and it made Ashara slightly uncomfortable, but the silence was interrupted by Rex and Anakin boarding the ship.

"Let's go", Anakin said to Tech, who immediately set a course for Skako Minor. Ashara moved to be closer to Rex.

"So, how did covering for Anakin go?" she teased. He groaned, and slid a hand over his face.

"Obi-Wan came looking for him not too long after we separated. And I'm pretty sure he knows", Rex muttered. Ashara laughed. 

"Of course he knows, he was there when Anakin first became obsessed with her", the togruta told the clone. Rex frowned, a question lingering in his mind. Ashara could sense it, but she didn't press, knowing that he would ask when he found a way to word it.

"Do you think he knows about how close we are? I know there's not really anything going on between us, but... the unspoken feelings are there."

Ashara blinked, heat rising to her face. Rex had teased her a lot, but this was the first time he had spoken of his feelings about her openly like that.

"I think he suspects something, but he won't say anything because we're not really acting on it."

Rex nodded, a smile on his face before he turned serious. "I'm just glad you're here to support me in this entire thing. If Echo is alive... I don't know what I'm going to do."

Ashara smiled, and gently reached forward and squeezed his hand. He squeezed her hand in return. "Rex, if he's alive, you're going to be grateful that we were able to rescue him, and that he's no longer in the hands of the Separatists."

Rex looked into her eyes, and she knew that he was looking for anything that said she didn't believe what she said. But she knew that he wouldn't find what he was looking for. He smiled, and gently squeezed her hand again, which she returned. She pulled her hand away, and turned back to the group, noticing Hunter watching her, a question in his eyes.

She merely nodded, giving confirmation to the question he was silently asking. He averted his eyes after that, and focused on talking to Anakin instead.