Chapter Nineteen

Ashara woke when she felt danger coming from outside of the barn. She instantly tensed when she heard the sound of footsteps coming towards their safe haven. She quickly stood, leaving Rex out in the open as she hid in a corner behind the door, one of her lightsaber being held in the hand that had the most mobility. She waited for him to enter the building, and noticed Rex reach over and grab his blaster. As soon as the man was close enough, he aimed his blaster at the person, but the person was quick to remove the blaster from Rex's grip.

"Who are you?" he asked. Ashara ignited her lightsaber and aimed it at the person.

"Better question is, who are you?" she said menacingly. The man turned and Ashara had to bite back a surprised reaction when she realized it was one of Rex's brothers. She didn't know which clone this was, but she knew it was a clone.

"You're a clone", Rex said as the man lowered his weapon. She relaxed and allowed her lightsaber to turn off, and she approached the bench while simultaneously attaching it to her belt.

"So... I see the war has finally made it's way out here", the clone said. "and I guess I can expect a visit from some droids soon."

"What's your number and rank?" Rex demanded. Ashara cut in front of him, and shot him a glare. 

"Ignore Rex. He's not used to seeing deserters."

"And I suppose you are?" the clone chuckled.

"Not really, but I at least know that you've probably got a name and not just a number and rank. Just like all the clones in the war do."

"The name's Lawquane, Cut Lawquane."

"I'm Ashara Ki, General in the Grand Army of the Republic, and leader of Valkyrie squad. This is Rex, Captain of the 501st battalion under Anakin Skywalker."

 "You swore an oath to republic", Rex sputtered out. "You have a duty."

"You're right, I do have a duty", Cut said as he turned on a light. "But it's to my family, not the republic. Does that count or do you still plan to turn me in?"

Ashara sighed and looked at Rex, who had a glare on his face. She was about to cut between the two, but was stopped by the sound of a young female voice.

"Daddy!" the young twi'lek girl shouted. "You're home!" She launched herself into his arms and he hugged her tight, while the younger twi'lek boy held up a paper with a poorly drawn twi'lek on it. She smiled softly as Suu came up to them as well. She wished that one day she could have a family like this, but she knew that it was unlikely to happen. She was a Jedi after all and she wasn't allowed to form attachments. However, as she thought about that, she glanced back at Rex, and met his eyes. He was watching her, and she quickly turned back around to face the small family.

"I see you two have met my husband", Suu said with a small laugh. Ashara rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, these two were about ready to bite each others heads off at first. Probably still are", she said snarkily.

"He looks just like you, Daddy!" the young girl said. "I told him!"

"Ah, you did, huh?" Cut asked as he glanced back at the clone captain. "What'd you tell the general here?" His gaze shifted to the yellow togruta.

"You're a general?" the young boy said. "Wait! Are you a Jedi?"

Ashara chuckled, and used her non-injured arm to grab one of her lightsabers, and hold it out to the small boy. "That I am, kid, that I am."

He gently took and and carefully held it. "How do you turn it on?"

Ashara gently took it back, and ignited it. She held it carefully. "There's a small button that you press that can be hard to find unless you're the person who built it. Each saber is unique to each Jedi. Thousands of different lightsabers have been created, one, or sometimes two for each Jedi."