Sleep

So sorry for my inactivity. I've been very busy with school this year. I also apologize but This chapter is a little short and angsty.  I hope you enjoy it anyway.

TW: very slight gore?

         Rian's sleep has been plagued by foul dreams. He's completely unsure who to confide in. He's only just met Gurjin's twin sister, and her friend, Kylan last week. Surely such strange faces are not to be trusted- at least not yet. It would seem so obvious to talk to Gurjin, but Rian can sense that something horrible had happened at the castle. Gurjin's movements are laborious and heavy, like he's been hurt, but his visible injuries don't display anything more than bruises. He didn't seem too eager to elaborate on his statement last week 'tender from my stay with the skeksis.' either. Rian takes a deep breath.

No one else is talking.

No one else wants to talk.

Rian tells himself, letting his breath out in a careful sigh. The brothers have long set, and everyone seems to be sinking down into the tall grass. The ground is soft here. He thinks, thanking Thra for this small comfort he's been given. He looks around him to see Gurjin, already laying down on his side. Rian crawls over quietly, laying down close by the Drenchen. He looks over to him, his back turned. It only takes him a moment to realize how close he'd gotten- he figures being cast out by his clan (among other things) had made him clingy. Rian scoots a foot or two away to give the Drenchen some space.

"Do I smell that bad?"
Gurjin chuckles, straining to turn over to face him. Rian smiles.

"Bad is an understatement, you reek."
Rian grins rudely as Gurjin laughs. On any other occasion, Gurjin would flop on top of Rian and smother him in his armpit (or something equally repulsive), but instead he remains still, watching him as they weakly chortle. Once through, Rian's eyes soften.

"...are you alright?"
Rian asks for perhaps the ninth time this week. Gurjin nods.

"It's like I said, I'm just very sore is all. I'll live."
Gurjin assures him, taking his turn to look at Rian. His whole body trembles, albeit faintly.

"..are you alright?"
Gurjin asks. Rian nods but elaborates no further. The drenchen is forced to accept this response. He glances to his sister and Kylan, simply making sure they're both near by and well and once assured of that, he lets his eyes fall shut. Rian chuckles at the larger gelfling, understanding that their short conversation has come to an end.

"Goodnight, Gurjin."
Rian says teasingly.

"Wake me, and perish."
Gurjin responds, knowing all too well how chatty the Stonewood can get after dark. Rian smiles and rolls his eyes, comforted by Gurjin's humour despite their situation. He lays on his back, the twinkling stars lulling him to sleep.

****

Rian wakes. He doesn't open his eyes for a moment, attempting to drift back without much trouble. He was just finding himself slipping back into his slumber when he hears loud rustling, his eyes snapping open. He attempts to sit up but he doesn't.. instead, he remains fixed to the dirt, unable to even lift his head. His breathing becomes frantic as he notices the feeling of weight on his limbs. The sensation of being bound and immobile is petrifying in and of itself, regardless of his surroundings. He tries his hardest to see the Drenchen next to him, relieved to see him close by. He attempts to cry out to him, but can only muster quiet whimpers. His stomach flips in his gut as he hears the rustling continue through the tall grass and settle behind the boulder adjacent to his feet.

It's now that Rian realizes what must be happening. His already shallow breaths spiral further into panic as he sees a gangly talon grip the boulder in front of him, a large figure climbing to perch over him. Rian watches, with wide eyes for what must've been 5 minutes before the beast finally stands at full height with a growl, only now revealing what he holds in his clutches. It's mangled, but long dark hair hangs heavy, wet and dripping onto the stone below. Rian's breathing quickens even further, quiet whines and whimpers escaping his constricted throat. Slowly the Skeksis steps forward, moving through the tall grass like a serpent through water, his head peering over the foliage. Rian hears his heavy step, his clattering bones, and the lazy dragging of the thing still in his claws. With tears now obstructing his vision, he finally manages to expel a sharp sob. He gasps as he hears stirring to his side.