Music in the Castle

Not much to say about this one. Rian and Gurjin back in the castle but before Mira.

Rian had been planning something for a while. He's constantly seen talking to the young guards during dining hours, stopping by tables with a hushed tone. Rian specifically avoided the older guard, they're very kind and friendly but they put the plan at risk.

"What for?"
A Drenchen girl asks with a hint of skepticism, her friends awaiting his answer.

"Just for fun.. It's easy to forget fun things around here."
Rian explains truthfully. The Stonewood continues to ask around, the word spreading quietly but quickly. It seems like no time at all before him and many of his peers have gathered in the unoccupied (but surprisingly large) room.

Rian gulps as the gelfling stand around. He sits on an old wooden crate, watching over the small crowd as they chatter of their boredom. It's now that Gurjin stops by the Stonewood's side.

"You look off, you okay?"
Gurjin asks, placing his hand on the boys back.

"Yes, I'm perfectly fine I just- I don't really know how to um- have fun-?" Rian stammers, "make them have fun I mean."
Rian continues with a shrug. Gurjin gives a soft sigh, listening to his friend carefully as he slowly lets his hand fall down his back, now resting by his hipbone.

"Well I reckon some entertainment would help?" Gurjin suggests, pulling a flask from his pouch. He takes a drink, glancing down at the boy. "You brought your lute." He says, eyeing the instrument laying behind him. "Were you going to play?"
Gurjin asks, still snaking his hand around Rian's waist. Rian shakes his head.

"I thought about it but I don't think I'm going to."
Rian answers. Gurjin hands Rian his flask, the boy holding it softly, admiring the soft leather bottle. Gurjin leans back to grab hold of the lute, placing it in Rian's lap.

"Nonsense." The Drenchen gently taps the flask in the boys hand. "Drink up, it'll help you relax."
He urges. Rian holds the opening to his lips, tipping the container up to drink. Gurjin watches as his lips delicately hug the spout, he can't help but imagine how soft they must be. The Stonewood sighs as he pulls the flask down, looking to the lute for a moment. He takes a second, longer drink before handing the flask back to Gurjin, covering his mouth with the back of his hand. The Drenchen eyes the spout, it shines with the wetness of Rian's lips. Gurjin sighs shamefully, he shouldn't be thinking such things. He brushes the thought, bringing it to his mouth as he tries to feel the warmth Rian may have left behind.

"What do I even play?"
Rian winces as he lifts the lute into his arms. He enjoys playing music, but he's no songteller- not in the slightest.

"Just any old drinking song, I'll help you out with it."
Gurjin assures the boy, tapping his back as he takes another swig. Rian carefully begins plucking notes, he looks to Gurjin with an unsure expression. The Drenchen's warm smile comforts him. Once Gurjin recognizes the melody he begins cheerfully (and loudly) singing out the words, his deep voice carrying over the crowd. A few chuckles arise as a few others join in to the joyous tune. Gurjin grins at a couple friends of his, now singing along across the room as well. It doesn't take long for the gelfling to get into the music, the guards rhythmically stomping their feet to the beat as they begin in a stupid dance. It's clear most everyone here is aware of their foolishness, goofily dancing and singing as though they were childling. Rian can't help but grin, all he wanted was for gelfling to have fun, to not forget their roots. The Stonewood has trouble remembering his childhood in Stone-in-the-Wood but he clings to the memories as best he can, dances out in the square, music playing late into the night as gelfling share stories and drinks. He can't wait to visit, to finally experience it for himself- but this will do for now. He watches as the small crowd only continues to sing louder and dance without concern.