Sleepwalking

Since the resistance formed, many things have changed. Entire villages— either wiped out or relocated to larger capitals for safety. It seemed wrong to linger in these places, but when shelter was needed, it was often all that was available. Their small bevy was used to staying in these forgotten places and the shock faded with each lost village.

It was a village that had been temporarily relocated to Sami Thicket, so with respect, the gelfling took shelter. Which left Rian and Gurjin staying in a small cottage. (Separate beds of course) it was the middle of the night and Gurjin had been sleeping rather peacefully up until now.

He opens his eyes groggily, squinting through amber eyes. He peers across the dark room till his eyes finally adjust and focus on the shape across from him.

"Rian..?"
Gurjin says hoarsely, not moving.
"What're you doing?"
The small gelfling stands idly with his blanket draped over his shoulders. Rian doesn't answer Gurjin's question. Gurjin props himself up on his elbows and shakes his head softly.

"Rian?"
Gurjin pauses as Rian hums a sleepy reply.
"...are you awake?"
Rian mutters back a reply in some form of gibberish Gurjin's unable understand. He sighs softly sitting up. He remembers well, Rian used to sleepwalk back at the castle. He'd often find himself having to retrieve the Stonewood from the corridors late into the night. It was somewhat normal back then but Gurjin hadn't seen him do this in quite some time, so it came as a surprise. Luckily for the both of them, getting Rian back to bed was usually as simple as telling him to do so. So with a tired sigh, Gurjin does just that.

"Rian, go back to bed, okay?"
Gurjin lays his head back on his pillow as Rian begins walking. He feels himself slip back to sleep when he feels his bed sink and shift. His eyes snap open as he sees Rian climb into his bed.

"Rian- no your bed!"
He groans out, but Rian's already snuggled himself down next to him. Gurjin sits back up looking at Rian who's already fallen back into a dead sleep. He sighs again. He stands up, carefully shimmying his hands beneath the Stonewood. He ever so gently lifts the boy and carries him to his bed across the room. He softly lays him in his bed as to not wake him. Gurjin watches for a moment, admiring how adorable the Stonewood is, so relaxed and peaceful. He smiles to himself before returning to his bed.

Not even thirty minutes passes before Gurjin wakes again to Rian unconsciously crawling into his bed. Gurjin for the second time tonight, groggily opens his amber eyes. They settle on Rian as the drenchen forces himself back up into a sitting position. He lets his head fall back with a gentle huff.

"For the love of Thra, Rian.."
He stands again and picks picks up the Stonewood, handling him with just as much care as before. He yawns as he moves him back to his own bed. It's not that Gurjin didn't want Rian in his bed, it's just that Rian's never believed Gurjin when he tells him he sleepwalks. The Stonewood denies it each and every time. No matter how many times Gurjin tried to convince him otherwise, Rian continued to believe it was some dumb prank. And it was because of this that he knew Rian would never believe he put himself in Gurjin's bed.

After placing Rian back down, he returns to his bed falling back asleep almost instantly. (Gurjin needs his beauty sleep after all) the next time Gurjin wakes, he expects to hear birds singing and see the brothers rising. However, he finds himself mistaken as he opens his eyes to see Rian snuggling his face back into his side. His small frame only illuminated by the sister's light.

Gurjin lets out a heavy, pestered sigh. He stares at Rian for a moment before before his eyes soften. Gurjin is too tired to move this persistent little thing again and chooses to let him be. He simply shuts his eyes and allows himself to drift back to sleep.

*******************

Finally, Gurjin wakes up to the brothers shining through the window on his face. He stretches softly basking in the warmth as he hears the floorboards creak. He opens his eyes as he sits up with a big yawn. He sees Rian, already dressed and quietly sweeping the floor. They exchange a quick look before Rian averts his eyes back to his chore.

"So..."
Rian starts, hesitation laced in his voice.
"...is there a reason I woke up in your bed?"
Rian asks, not looking up from his sweeping. Gurjin looks at him, unsure of what he should respond with.

"You uh.. you were sleepwalking again.. you actually climbed into my bed three times.. I moved you twice, but you seemed persistent so by your third attempt I just gave up and let you stay."
Gurjin says with a shrug. Rian stares at the floor red faced before forcing out a scoff.

"For crying out loud, Gurjin. And here I thought you had finally let that go-"
Rian shakes his head in disbelief. Gurjin sighs.

"I really don't feel like going through this again, Rian. You woke me up over and over last night, and I'm too tired to argue about it. You asked what happened— that's what happened."
He says flatly as he gets himself up and ready. Rian bites his lip standing still. Finally for the first time he actually considers the possibility of sleepwalking. Gurjin does look he had trouble sleeping and it would explain him waking up so late— not that he's an early riser any other day. Rian gets lost in his thoughts, thinking back to when he'd woken up. He had an arm draped over Gurjin's torso as his face sat pressed against the drenchen's strong chest. When he looks back up to Gurjin, he's already gotten himself dressed and ready. Rian opens his mouth, once again hesitating before he spoke.

"...did I really sleepwalk into your bed Gurjin..?"
Rian asks, embarrassment painted on his face. Gurjin simply nods leaning against a small table, the legs creaking under his weight. Rian looks down again feeling like an absolute idiot for denying it all those trine.

"Well-... I'm sorry.. for waking you up."
He says with a hint of shame in his voice. He continues to sweep the floor shaking his head softly cussing himself out in a voice, barely audible. Gurjin shrugs despite Rian having his back turned.

"It's no worry, Rian. I'm just glad you didn't try going outside this time. I'd rather you climb in my bed then get yourself hurt out in the night."
Gurjin says simply. He pats Rian's back softly as he passes him.

"I promised I'd help Brea identify plants with her today, so I better get going."
Rian watches him walk for the door. He nods, his face and ears still red. Gurjin stops as he's half out the door.
"Oh- and Rian,"
Rian nods for him to continue.
"If you ever want to sleep with me in my bed, just ask."
And just like that, Gurjin was gone, leaving Rian to blush to himself. He thinks on what Gurjin said, imagining what a lovely night that would be. But he knows he'd be too nervous to ask for such a thing.

Rian continues to sweep, blushing hard, and lost in his thoughts.

Notes: the writing got really messy at the end there. Sorry ':( but it's currently 6am and I've been up all night writing this garbage.