Nightmare

Gurjin lays in Rian's bed, fast asleep. He and Rian had been together the whole day. Even when Gurjin tried to bid him goodnight, Rian held onto him, pulling him back into the cottage. He gave Gurjin sweet eyes and urged him to stay longer and of course Gurjin couldn't resist. Eventually the two simply dozed off sitting in bed together.

So now he lays unconsciously next to his best friend. That is until a small noise pulls Gurjin from his sound sleep. He opens his eyes a crack and his ear perks up, in anticipation for another noise. Surely enough, there is. And it's coming from the body next to him. He sits up, tiredly dragging a hand over his face as he tucks back his braids.

He looks to Rian with furrowed brows as he tilts his head.
"Rian..?"
He whispers huskily. Rian has his back to Gurjin and for a moment Gurjin questions if it's even him. Rian lays curled up in a fetal position, folded up into this tiny ball. He trembles with his ears plastered to his skull. Gurjin stares in confusion. Sure, he's seen Rian frightened, but never in his life had he seen Rian so mortified. Brave Rian; Aughra said so herself. It was a terrible sight to see and it dug a pit deep in Gurjin's stomach.

"Rian, what's going on?"
He repeats himself a little louder. Rian doesn't react, telling Gurjin that the stonewood is asleep. He stares for a few more unsure moments before making the decision to relieve Rian of whatever plagues his slumber. He places his hand on Rian's shoulder, softly giving him a shake. Rian whimpers meekly, somehow shrinking even further. Gurjin gives Rian a second shake a little more powerful than the last. That does it.

Rian wakes with a gasp. He squirms and begins screaming out at the figure looming over him. Gurjin jumps, startled at the sudden commotion. His terror is replaced with sadness as Rian calls out to his mother and father amidst the screams. Gurjin calls his name over him as he reaches for him. He hushes the stonewood and scrambles to get ahold of the screaming gelfling.

"It's me, Rian! Calm down! You're okay!!"
Gurjin pleads with the squirming boy until he finally begins to relax. His chest heaves and his limbs tremble. It takes a moment of Gurjin holding him down to realize what he must look like and Rian immediately sits up, blushing red. He shoos Gurjin's hands away and takes a deep breath trying to act as if nothing had just occurred.

"...Rian, what was that??? Are you okay??"
Gurjin asks with worry etched in his tone. Rian nods, still attempting to appear nonchalant. He gives himself a moment, working up the strength to speak.

"Uh- Yes."
He says weakly. He looks at Gurjin who seems unconvinced. He purses his lips before adding onto his reply.
"Dream just uh- gave me a bit of a start, yes."
Gurjin stares at him unsure of what to say. He frowns at the Stonewood, tears still streaming down his face. He takes Rian by his shoulders and pulls him in for a hug. He holds the boy to his chest firmly. Rian hugs him back tightly savouring the warmth of Gurjin's body.

Rian is clearly still shaken, but he keeps himself together for the time being. He expels a shaky sigh.

"I'm assuming I woke you then..?"
Rian asks quietly, ears still pressed flat to his head. Gurjin nods, softly rubbing his back.

"you were so.. small.. curled up like a childling- You were trembling and whimpering and-"
Rian cuts Gurjin off with a shaky breath.

"-That's enough- I- I need to- uh- go.."
Rian says pulling away from Gurjin in embarrassment. He gets up, hiding his trembling joints to the best of his ability. He grabs his cloak and puts on his little boots.

"Rian- What? Where?? We're in your cottage! The brothers won't be rising for hours!"

Rian shrugs lacing up his boots. He doesn't care where he goes or what he does. He just wants to rid himself of the embarrassment he's caused for himself. He wipes a small tear lingering beneath his lash and sniffles, the remaining tears in his eyes making his vision fuzzy. He stands up looking across the room trying to hide his hurt.
"Please, just- stay in bed, Gurjin."
Not at all to his surprise, Gurjin stands as well. He grabs his cloak looking to Rian.

"If you're going somewhere, I'm coming with you."
He says sternly. Rian knows there's no chance at convincing him otherwise and gives a soft nod.

Rian steps out of the cottage taking a breath of the crisp early morning air. He releases a sigh, beginning to walk.

Gurjin finds the dry air in Stone-in-the-Wood fairly unpleasant and gives the back of Rian's head a funny look as he so happily takes it in. He decides against complaining, to ask Rian some questions.

"Do you get that way often?"

Rian watches his feet, wondering how he should answer. He decides to just be truthful. Gurjin is his closest friend after all.

"M-..more recently, yes."
It was true. Rian had been having nightmares quite frequently.

"...what are they about?"
Gurjin asks carefully, realizing he may be poking at a nerve. Rian blows out his breath in a puffy sigh.

"Uh.. they vary. Some of them are just.. repeating events.. some lack any substance at all.. s-some of them-.."
he pauses trying to find the words.
"..are happy.. even.. but they've got this horrible underlying dread and I- I can't explain it. Like- erm.. everyone in the dream is happy and everything seems perfect, but I still feel terrified and weak."

He stops himself on that thought with a slight shiver.

"Tonight.. was very mixed up.. it was just after the hunter had taken me, but other things too.."

Rian shrugs it off as if he were overreacting but Gurjin listens to him regardless. He nods softly turning his head to see him.

"I'm sorry Rian.. that-.. that sounds horrible. Maybe I should stay more often.. so I can wake you when they happen.."

Rian thinks upon that thought. He definitely wouldn't mind the company and the comfort, but he shakes his head.

"It's alright. I'm not particularly fond of you seeing me act that way."
Gurjin scoffs at Rian's words. He doesn't mean to sound rude, but perhaps it comes off that way.

"Rian, I mean no disrespect, but I really don't care. I want to be there for you when you're feeling that way. Please."
Gurjin looks at Rian and the stonewood meets his gaze. His eyes are so full of warmth, so full of kindness and the look makes Rian's heart skip. He looks to his feet thinking on hard this decision but remains silent.

"I can sleep on the floor if that's what bothers you, I just need to be there for you, Rian."
Gurjin adds. He'd failed to consider that perhaps Rian was just uncomfortable with him in his bed before, but Rian shakes his head.

"It's not that. I don't mind you sleeping with me, in fact, I enjoy your company. It's just that this is all so-... mm-" he pauses in search of words. "Embarrassing."
Rian says quietly. Gurjin stops them both and looks at Rian again. He pulls him in for another hug holding him tightly in his arms.

"You have nothing to be ashamed of. Never be embarrassed to talk to me, do you understand, Rian?"
Rian hugs back pressing his face to the drenchens chest. Gurjin pulls him back a bit unsatisfied with Rian's silence.

"Rian. Do you understand?"
Gurjin repeats himself holding Rian's chin to make eye contact. Rian nods gently.

"Yes."
Rian says softly leaning back into Gurjin to lengthen the hug. Gurjin holds Him softly.

Notes:
I LIIED it's not a super fluffy chapter sorry!! 👀👀