Rian's Letters pt. 1

So sorry for my inactivity as of late! I've been fairly busy with school and I really appreciate you all being so patient! This chapter takes place back at the castle (and is actually a bit of a continuation of 'Sad Gurjin') but it sort of focuses a bit on Rian and Mira. I'll be making a part two as fast as I'm able so don't fret, Gurjin will be back!

Rian was just relaxing in bed, staring at the ceiling as Gurjin enters their shared room. He listens as Gurjin's sighs heavily, scrounging through his drawers. Rian stays in his position attempting figure out what Gurjin's doing down there as he continues in his bustling. He listens to the Drenchen walk back and forth from his dresser to his bed. He considers all the possibilities as he keeps himself quiet. He's almost certain Gurjin doesn't know he's there. As Gurjin returns to his dresser, Rian gets up and swings off the bed, dangling upside down by his legs.

Gurjin grabs another handful of his belongings before turning back to Rian with a jump and a gasp. He takes a breath as he calms himself from the fright.

"I didn't know you were here."
He explains as he steps around the Stonewood, shoving his things into a bag.

"What are you doing?"
Rian asks in concern. If he didn't know any better he'd think he were leaving.

"Packing."
Gurjin answers simply.

"Okay, I can see that. Packing for what though?"
Rian asks, flipping over to drop from the bed.

"I'm visiting home."
Gurjin answers again. Rian's brows furrow. It isn't bad news, he was glad that Gurjin would be able to see his family after being so homesick the night before but it was also disappointing whenever he left. He always has such wonderful stories of his journey to and from the smerth. It tortures Rian that he'll likely never experience such wonders.

"When-... when are you leaving?"
He asks further, his playful tone dwindling with each response.

"Not sure yet.. soon probably."
Gurjin replies, clearly not enjoying all the questions. Rian notices but the words burn his throat.

"How soon?"
He blurts, he feels a certain snap from the Drenchen.

"Rian."
He says in a pestered tone. Rian bites his lip as he tries to keep his silence, sitting on the Drenchen's bed to watch him pack.

"Do you know how long you'll be staying..?"
Rian asks quietly pulling a sigh from Gurjin. The Drenchen pauses for a moment not really answering.

"I know you hate when I interrogate you, but I just get so sad when you're gone and- and it's a reasonable question! Sometimes it's a week and sometimes it's like- three unum."
Rian argues. It's true, sometimes Gurjin leaves for unum at a time and it drives Rian mad.

"You're overthinking it- besides, you have Mira now so you won't even notice."
Gurjin almost huffs. The comment pokes at Rian.

"What? Gurjin?" He shakes his head, "I- I like Mira and all but- I don't know, it's not the same when you're not around.. the room is so quiet and cold and-"
Rian stops as he sees Gurjin staring. He looks... unconvinced.

"Ugh- come on.. you're my favourite- most trustworthy- funny- drenchiest best friend, Gurjin. I- I love you and it's so terribly boring when you're gone."
Rian says with a small pout. The Drenchen's eyes soften as he listens to Rian's kind words.

"You're my best friend too."
He says simply, not wanting to delve too deep into his feelings for Rian.

"Promise you'll write me?" Rian asks looking to his friend. Gurjin nods in agreement. "Everyday?"
The Stonewood adds looking to Gurjin for his confirmation.