Borrowed

@sazzlemurphy came up with this hilarious idea so I had to make a chapter on it!!

It's pretty early in the morning. Gurjin's very quietly packing up things in their tent while Rian continues to sleep. He'd been having trouble shutting his brain off the night before so Gurjin gave him some extra time to sleep in. He puts some of Rian's things away, helping him out a bit so he won't be behind when he wakes. Just as Gurjin, finished getting dressed, a familiar Vapran enters the tent without warning.

"Woah."
Gurjin says quietly, trying to keep his volume low for the Stonewood.
"I just finished getting dressed, Brea. You might want to consider announcing yourself before entering."
He says calmly to the girl.

"Oh.. sorry about that."
She looks around the room seeing Rian still fast asleep on the floor. She squints for a moment, approaching the gelfling.
"Why's he still in bed? We're leaving soon."
She says to the Drenchen, not minding to keep her voice lowered.

"He had a lot of trouble falling asleep last night, so I'm letting him sleep in a bit."
Gurjin says quietly, turning back around to pack up. Brea notices Rian's hair brush next to him, she picks it up and shoves it in her pocket— it's what she was looking for anyway. The Stonewood stirs, beginning to wake up a bit.

"Did you need something?"
Gurjin asks, still making an effort to be polite.

"Not really, I suppose."
She's about to stand when she notices something. She gives a quiet gasp before covering her mouth with a quiet titter. She reaches for something in Rian's arms as Gurjin turns. His eyes widen at the Vapran.

"Brea, don't-"
He tries to stop the action but it's too late. Brea's already lifted up what she'd reached for. A floppy, raggedy stuffy from Rian's arms. The now empty space in his arms along with the quiet giggles from Brea wake him up. The boy stirring and opening his eyes. His tired eyes widen as he sees Brea with the toy, he snaps up into a sitting position watching her fiddle with the floppy stuffy.

"Rian, are you serious?"
She chuckles. She means well while she pokes fun at the Stonewood but he doesn't seem to be in on the joke. His cheeks burn red.

"Brea, give it back!"
Rian says quickly holding his arm out. Brea continues to chuckle looking to Gurjin figuring a jokester like himself would find humour in this. Her expression falls slightly at Gurjin's face. He doesn't look mad, but his eyes are widened. He gestures for her to listen to the Stonewood, who continues to hold his arm out.
"Give it back!"
He says again, extending his arm out further. Brea listens to the boy, tossing the old stuffed animal back to the gelfling.

"Goodness."
She says as Rian takes the toy and tucks it away into his bag. He keeps his blanket over himself, uncomfortable with Brea seeing him in his pyjamas.

"Brea, I'm indecent. Could you maybe come back later?"
He huffs out, still blushing awkwardly. She nods.

"Uh, yes.. I'm sorry about that."
She apologizes before making her exist. As she leaves Rian lets out a sigh and looks to the Drenchen.

"I tried to stop her, Rian. She just walked in and picked it up."
The Drenchen explains. Rian nods understandingly, trying to pat down his big goofy bed head.

"No worries. I just didn't want her messing it up."
He says as he stands up.
"Is it stupid? ..That I still have it?"
He says looking to the stuffed animal flopped on its side in his bag.

"Not at all. It carries strong sentimental value to you. That's not stupid."
Gurjin assures him.
"Here, if it makes you feel any better, look."
Gurjin pulls up his sleeve a bit to expose his arm. A tattered woven bracelet sits on his wrist. Rian looks at it with a huge smile. It was a bracelet he had made the Drenchen when they were small.
"I've literally never taken it off."
Gurjin confesses. Rian smiles at the boy.

Stilling grinning wide to himself, Rian turns to change. Gurjin peeks a little bit, but looks away as Rian turns his head. The boy notices, blushing red at the boy.
"Wha-"
Rian stammers. He picks up his pillow, staring at the laughing Drenchen.
"You think you're slick, don't you!"
Rian laughs as he whips the pillow at the boys head. The two boys laugh as Rian begins taming his messy hair. He looks around the floor, clumsily stepping about as he searches.

"Wait, where's my hairbrush?"
He asks the Drenchen who only shrugs.
"I- I swear I left it just beside my mat."
Rian scoffs as he begins shaking out his blankets for the missing object. He searches everywhere in the tent but is unable to find it.
"You don't have one, do you, Gurjin?"
He asks knowing the answer. The Drenchen chuckles, holding up a single dreadlock.

"No I do not."
He smiles.
"But it's fine. Your hairs cute like that."
He says with a chuckle as the gelflings hair stands in all directions. Rian sighs, too embarrassed to leave his tent this way. He ties his hair back loosely so it's at least out of the way. He finishes tidying up his space, finishing packing up the bag Gurjin had started. He thanks the Drenchen as they leave to take the tent apart.

As Rian and Gurjin work on taking apart their tent, Naia comes up chuckling.

"Rough night, Rian?"
She asks, playfully tugging at his loose hair tie. He swats her hand away with a slight chuckle.

"I've lost my hairbrush, you haven't seen it have you?"
He glances to the Drenchen girl who shakes her head, before continuing to remove the rain tarpaulin.

"Oh, I borrowed it."
Says the Vapran, as she collects her things. Rian looks to her for a moment.

"Oh.. without permission..?"
He says quietly, wondering how she'd even gotten it.

"It's a hairbrush, Rian. Relax."
She says with a subtle eye roll. Rian watches her dig through her bag to get it.

"No, no.. it's just that- you would have had to come in and taken it while I slept, which is-"
The Stonewood's interrupted by the Vapran.

"Here."
She tosses the brush to the gelfling. He catches it.

"Thank-"
He stops as he cringes.
"Hold on, wait- why is it wet???"
He asks in slight terror, holding it between his thumb and index as it drips.

"I wet it for my hair."
She replies simply as she continues about her business.

"Great."
He says sarcastically. Rian looks to Gurjin mouthing out "can you believe this?" As he points to the dripping brush, small wet clumps of blonde hair caught in the bristles. Gurjin shakes his head, his upper lip raised in disgust. Rian rubs his forehead with a frustrated sigh as he reaches into his pack for a cloth. He dabs at the brush and yanks out the hair still left in the bristles. Once the brush is clean and dry, he finally gets the chance to brush out his messy hair.

Once he's tidied himself up, he finishes packing up their belongings, sitting with the others to eat before they depart.