The Lute

Rian's in the middle of exploring an abandoned village while the others settle in. He enjoys the walks for the most part. They're quiet and peaceful if not sad. He sees a small shop and makes his way over. He steps in to see if anything useful is inside.

He lets out a soft sigh to himself as he sees nothing worth of taking. He begins to turn when something catches his eye. A lute hanging on the wall. He stares for a moment biting his lip.

"Oh, Rian, quit it. You shouldn't bother yourself with such trivial things."
He mumbles to himself, beginning to sound like his father. He taps his foot on the wood floor as he convinces himself to leave the lonely instrument. He looks between the lute and the door, before groaning loudly to himself.

He gives into his impulsion and takes the pretty instrument from its stand. He suppresses a smile as he hops up to sit on the countertop. He finds himself unable to contain the small joy in him and smiles wide as he gets a feel of the instrument.

He plucks a string and cringes at the untuned rattle it emits. He begins tuning the instrument, plucking bending notes as he turns the pegs. It takes him a while to do. knowing he hasn't played in a while, tuning the instrument by ear is very tricky.

He eventually succeeds smiling to himself as he begins to pluck notes. He takes a very small notebook from his pouch and flips through the pages. Back when he used to play, he'd make up little melodies and write them down in the smaller book. He internally thanks himself for not letting himself part with it and picks something soft.

He takes a deep breath, a feeling of nervousness washing over him as he begins to play. He remembers the melody of the song he'd written so long ago, but struggles remembering the words. He mumbles all he remembers, kicking himself for not writing down the lyrics. He plays through the song a few times as his memory refreshes itself.

By now Rian was happily playing his music, singing softly with the tune. Too distracted in his blissful indulgence, Rian doesn't notice Gurjin's presence. He'd only been there for a moment but he stood leaned against the shops doorframe smiling sweetly at the gelfling.

"Why hello."
He says suavely as Rian stiffens and looks up. As Gurjin's presence clicks in his mind, he yelps and falls backward off the countertop, landing on his back. Gurjin stares as the boy disappears behind the counter, the only noise filling the air being the unpleasant ringing of the lute strings as it knocks off the floor.

Rian silences the instrument before peeking over the edge of the counter. Gurjin had already walked and stood nearby. A dishevelled Rian clears his throat, standing and leaning against the counter as if nothing had happened.

"Yes- uh- hello."
He stammers out the simple words, his face burning red as his ears twitch. Gurjin chuckles. They sit in silence for a moment before Gurjin looks at Rian with a wanting smile.

"Are you going to play for me?"
He asks lowly, only making Rian's cheeks redden further.

"What- I- I wasn't playing anything- I just saw it and- I was only looking at it."
Rian lies terribly. Gurjin stares straight through Rian's lie and into his eyes. Rian gives a defeated sigh, picking up the instrument and placing it on the counter.

"I was only messing around with it.."
He admits, sounding almost ashamed.

"It was lovely. I miss hearing you sing, Rian."
Gurjin says softly, placing a hand on Rian's across the counter.
"You used to sing for me all the time. I wish you hadn't stopped.."
He looks at him with a soft pleading smile.

"I know.. it's just- it feels strange now. Almost like- I'm not supposed to."
Rian says looking at their hands. His father had told him so sternly not to waste time with useless hobbies while he had responsibilities. To Rian, the words only feel that much more relevant now.

"Please?"
Gurjin says, giving Rian's hand a gentle squeeze. Rian shakes his head slightly.

"He's right"
He mumbles. Gurjin cocks his head to the side. Rian begins to walk away from the instrument as he speaks.
"I shouldn't be wasting my time this way. I think it'd be best if we just-"

"Rian."
Gurjin stops him.
"Don't you do this to yourself. What have I told you about shutting yourself down like this? You like playing the lute and you like singing, don't push it down. You're allowed to have hobbies."
Gurjin says looking at Rian with a weak smile. The stonewood nods as Gurjin hands him the stringed instrument.

"Thank you."
He smiles. Gurjin returns to loving gaze and steps forward, kissing Rian's forehead, having to tilt his chin down.
"Goodness, you are a tower."
Rian chuckles looking up at the drenchen.

"A gentle giant."
Gurjin affirms. Rian scrunches his nose quietly kissing his teeth.

"Mm- I think more of a- a Makrak? A Makrak that destroys all your furniture."
Rian says through a sneer. The comment earns a scoff from the Drenchen.

"It was one table."
Gurjin argues.

"And three chairs!!"
Rian shouts, suppressing a laugh.

"It is not my fault you're all so dainty! With your stupid wicker seats!"
Gurjin laughs loudly. The boys continue to mock each other as they walk to Gurjin's spot.

They sit peacefully, Rian leaned back against Gurjin as he plucks and plays little tunes on the lute. They joke and laugh before returning back to their group, Rian still carrying the musical instrument.