A Trip

Started writing this a while back but never finished. Now it's just super long haha! I'm working on some other stuff too, thanks for being so patient :)

"You've no idea how frustrating you can be."
Rian tells his father calmly, trying his best to maintain his composure. Rian's father looks to him angrily.

"Likewise." He says, "I don't know what it is, you've always been like this. Everything I ask you to do, you want the opposite." He continues, "for Thra's sake if I didn't know any better I'd think it were some mental disorder."
He sneers. Rian frowns at the insult.

"It's not that I'm spiteful, you just don't allow me any slack?? You've such a firm belief that you know what's best for me— you don't let me make any decisions for myself. How do you expect me to be a good captain when I can't even decide who I'm allowed to talk to?"
Rian argues, for so long he's been on such a strict path.

"A captain must be brought up with strict discipline. You have too much emotion, it'll only weaken you." Ordon fowns, "you need to let go of your feelings."
His father says sternly, looking to his son with a look of genuine concern.

"What, so I can be like you?" Rian asks snidely. "Devoid of any personality, nothing but a blank stone? A- a big angry boulder?"
Rian mocks.

"This is what I'm talking about, you're so hung up on acting a fool! When will you finally mature!?" His father lectures his son. "You don't know anything!"
He adds, his volume raising. Rian's face scrunches for a moment.

"You're right! I don't know anything!! I don't know anything but the castle! I don't know how to lead a group, I don't know how to travel, which roads are safe, which roads are deadly, I don't know how to light I fire, I don't know how to hunt, I don't know what plants are edible, which plants will kill me-!!"

"-Rian-"
Ordon says sternly.

"I don't know how to survive outside of this stupid castle!!"
Rian shouts.

"Rian-!"
Ordon barks.

"Oh, but thank the lords I know how to stand and look at a door for 12 hours straight!!"
Rian practically screams, Ordon's had enough of this.

"Fine! Go on then! Clearly you know what's best for yourself! Go get yourself killed!"
Ordon shouts, putting his hands up in defeat. And with that, Rian turns on his heels and stomps down the halls. He knows his father wasn't serious. He doesn't have permission to just up and leave but Rian doesn't care much anyway. He longs for Thra and all the things he's never seen. To sit down somewhere in the sun without worrying of his father, or the Skeksis. Sure, he doesn't know a whole lot about surviving in the wilds but Stone-in-the-Wood isn't far, only a few days walk. As long as he sticks to the roads he'll be on his way.

He thinks for a moment, coming up with some sort of escape plan, but truthfully it'd be easiest to just walk out, act as though he's got some high order of business outside. He steps into his bunk, Gurjin's still on his patrol. He loves the Drenchen, but he cares too much. Gurjin would only worry of the Stonewood and tattle if he let him in on his plan. Rian decides he'll just send a letter once he's safe in his village. He begins packing a knapsack with clothing and a small first aid kit he and the Drenchen use for small injuries after drills. He packs a canteen and some food he'd stashed away for the two. He feels a twinge of guilt, taking the things he and his best friend shared. He discards the thought and continues, tying off the bag. He puts his cloak on and throws the bag over his shoulder, fastening a lantern to his belt. He looks to his feet as he leaves his room, not even bothering to look back. He takes a breath.

He walks through the halls quickly, trying to avoid anyone he might know. The Stonewood is quick on his feet so it doesn't take long for him to reach the entrance. He looks to the guards for a moment, he knows one quite well. He confidently strolls past them, one looking up with a squint.