Chapter 42: Delinquent Instinct

Seungcheol

"So we'll just see each other on Friday at the bus stop near Shua hyung's house?" Jihoon asked as he closed the zipper of his bag.

Jeonghan nodded, "Don't forget to bring your gifts with you."

"And most importantly, be careful when talking with Shua hyung. Who knows we might accidentally spill the surprise," Seokmin said. 

We all agreed at that, but the slight clenching of my heart had reminded me about that thing I've been trying to get rid of.

Looking at Seokmin, who's smiling dreamily like he's already imagining Joshua's reaction when we surprised him on his birthday, I couldn't help but think... what if I tell Joshua? So that he won't succeed in this surprise of his, and to make his plan of impressing Joshua fail?

As quickly as I thought of those ideas, I shook my head, mentally cursing myself for thinking such thoughts. Seokmin and I may not be the closest in our group, but I certainly had taken a liking to him because of his bright personality and his smile which seemed to be glued in his face. Unfortunately, I couldn't get rid of that thing immediately. And so no matter how much I like his presence and company with us, I can't help feeling annoyed every time I hear his enthusiasm in surprising Joshua.

That was a big slap to me, on how much of a coward I am, and how I can never be someone who would openly show his affection.

As we headed out of the dormitory building, Jihoon and Soonyoung had already left us, followed by Seokmin, and Wonwoo, then Seungkwan. Jun and Minghao said they're going to have a sleepover in Jeonghan's place. It has been like that ever since they became friends. Since they are both Chinese and had no family with them here, Jeonghan invited them every Christmas and New Year to celebrate with him since he's also alone. 

They also invited me, and I agreed. But I'll stay in my apartment for today to have some time alone for myself. Sometimes, I still want to be alone despite hating it. Old habits die hard, and being alone has been a habit I harbored during the past years I've spent. I couldn't quickly get rid of it.

"See you tomorrow, Cheol!" Jeonghan exclaimed, pulling me into a tight hug, very different from how he clung onto me before.

I awkwardly smile, afraid he would feel how my heart pounded at the hug. Nevertheless, I hugged him back, "Yeah. Take care, Jeonghan." I said before pulling away to turn to our younger friends.

"Take care, alright? Don't forget to take care of your hyung," I said, jokingly reminding them.

They laughed while Jeonghan whined beside me.

"We will, hyung. Don't worry!" Jun added, which made Jeonghan whine even more.

"We'll go ahead now before Jeonghan hyung throws a tantrum. Take care too, hyung!" Minghao said, pulling the whining Jeonghan with them as the distance between us grew more wider. I waved at them before turning around and walking towards the opposite direction where the bus stop near my apartment was.

Walking alone right now on this path is still unfamiliar to me, because I rarely go out of the campus. Although we spent these past few weeks outside the campus, we didn't head this direction except when we hung out one time in my place.

I sighed, taking in the cold air as I continued to walk.

It was silent and creepy. Only a few people walk in this direction mainly because the bus stop is a bit far from here and they chose to take a cab instead, but I didn't like the cab that much. I prefer the bus. So I endured the long walk.