Or So We Thought

Warning! Contains: Suicide Attempts, Swearing, Murder, Death, Crying, Self-Hate, Self-Harm, Blood, Hate, Love, Kissing, etc, etc.

Backstory: Modern Cannon AU- Aang's 18; Katara's 16.

May 4th. The day of the comet. And everyone was supposed to win, right? That's how happy ever afters work. But not everyone gets a happy ever after. When everyone thinks that they have won the war - yet lost their leader - they go into a depressive state. Especially for the one who never got to express her love to him before he died- or so they thought.

KATARA'S POV:

I ran over to the airship, desperate to see my grey-eyed airbender again, to feel him holding me in his arms, to feel his warmth and comfort, to hear his voice... and to feel his lips pressed against mine.

I slow down as the door opens, and once I see my brother leaning onto his girlfriend for dear life, my hands shoot up to my mouth. I dash over and give him a hug, my face buried in the crook of his neck.

From behind him, I see Suki and Toph crying. Suki, I'd expect, but Toph? "Why the hell is she crying?" Suki starts bawling, collapsing to the floor. Toph continues to cry gently like she's trying to hold it in. Even Sokka's sobbing his heart out, now.

Zuko comes up from behind me and takes my brother from my arms, and I walk over to my best friend. The earthbender just presses a hand to her mouth, choking out a single sob that broke my heart in half, and turned her head away from me. I could still see her puffy red eyes and swollen cheeks, and I was completely and utterly confused.

"Why the hell is she crying?" I asked again, more firmly this time. Suki just lets out a loud wail that shattered my heart into a million pieces. Then suddenly, it clicked. I turned to Zuko, whose eyes were wide with tears. I froze in place, my heart stopped beating, a single feather could feel like a billion pounds.

I bolted inside the airship, my entire body trembling as I fell against the metal door, only to get back up and continue running. My body was shaking in fear and pain, my heart wasn't working, and my throat was dry and empty.

I opened a door in the back, tears streaming my eyes, cautiously. But then I slammed it open, and it was empty. I collapsed to the floor, everything in me vanished. I couldn't contain a single thing, my throat suddenly became filled with saliva as I wailed out the most heartbreaking cry you would ever hear.

My tears flow down my face and onto the metal ground as I started to hit and punch it, not even stopping when the blood came out. I finally managed to stop torturing myself as I was out of breath- I landed on the floor and continued my hyperventilating.

I couldn't believe it. He's gone. There's no way.... Then who the fuck was the 'powerful bender' I was supposed to marry?! Who the fuck am I supposed to love for the rest of my life?! How the fuck is the Air Nomad generation supposed to go on now?! This is worse than letting Ozai live!! I should've told him how much I loved him before I let him go!!

I gasped for air as I choked out another sob, my body motionless on the cold, hard, metal of the airship. My heart stopped beating again, and for a second - a horrible, painful, second - I thought about joining him, wherever he is.

5 days later 🤍
I haven't moved in 5 days. I've just been sitting here. On the floor of the airship that no one was allowed to move because I wouldn't budge from the floor.

My chest was still not working right. My heart still had trouble beating. My face was still wetter than the ocean. My tears still tasted salty. And most of all, my wrists are still covered in blood.