Happy Valentine's Day

Warning! Contains: swearing, oohirs, lovr, etc

(happy v-day, darlings! i hope you have as much fun with your valentines as i did with mine<3)
(oops I've said too much-)

(this is a normal atla au but modern, so the avatar exists but pretend it's not aang)

AANG'S POV:

Life can't get any better than this.

Katara was leaning her head on my chest, and her arms were on her own as mine wrapped up around her. A blanket was thrown around us as the music gently played in the background from my phone, a newspaper folding itself in between her fingers.

"And... there," she said, holding up the simple origami heart in the dim candlelight ahead of us on the table. "A heart." I smiled, leaning into her a little more, my heart swelling up in happiness.

"I would make you one," I whispered, "but I don't think I'd be good at that." She also already has my heart. Spirits, I wish I could tell her how much I love her. "Oh, come on," she laughed, "you'll do amazing!" She sat up a little straight, but I didn't fail to notice that she stayed glued to my side. "Here," she handed me a newspaper, "just start by folding the little edge right here..."

<3

"So, who's your Valentine?" Katara asked, turning to face me, leaning her cheek on my shoulder. I smiled, placing my hand on her cheek, rubbing my thumb across her face. "No one," I replied, looking into her eyes. She's so beautiful, she always has been. I love her so much.

"Really?" She looked shocked. "What about Leii?" I gulped, looking down at my lap, trying not to meet her eyes. Fuck. Leii... Leii. Fuck you, Leii. "She's not... in the picture." My hand dropped from Katara's cheek as I poked my cheek with my tongue, my heart racing faster than I could keep up with as all the memories floated through my mind.

"Hey, Aang, what's wrong? I'm sorry if I said something-" I shook my head, finally making eye contact with her, seeing the pure worry in her eyes. "It wasn't you," I interrupted, relaxing her by a fraction of a decimal. "I'm fine. Leii is just... just- don't mention her again, okay?"

"I'll kill her," she whispered, her eyes dark, "I'll skin her alive and break her bones if she laid a finger on you." I smiled, "you might be going to jail, then." She widened her eyes, the blue in them turning darker than the night sky, her face morphing into pure anger. "I swear to fuck-" I held her down as she tried getting up off the couch, her eyes meeting mine, watching them calm down and a different emotion arise... one I couldn't name.

"It's okay, I got her in a lot of legal trouble," I said cautiously, trying to be careful with my words. "She's locked up for a while, now. Anyways..." Katara let out a breath. "Let me try this again. Really? No Valentine this year, again?"

I smiled, nodding, as her head relaxed on my shoulder and she gently picked up my hand and placed it on her cheek. "I... I have a crazy idea," she whispered, her eyes wide in happiness. I could see the passion in them, and it made me smile to see her so happy.

"What?" She might've heard the slight hesitation in my voice, because she suddenly looked down and shook her head, shutting her eyes. "Never mind- it's too crazy." My hand slowly picked up her face, moving to her chin with one finger, pulling until our eyes met and my heart stopped.

"Katara, what is it?" Her tan cheeks coated a light red, a smile forming on her face, stopping midway at a half-grin, making me mirror her as the thoughts running through my mind stilled. She's so fucking beautiful.

"Well, every single Valentine's day, you're single... and this year, because I got Jet in jail, I'm single too..." I raised my eyebrow. "Where are you going with this?" A pink hue coated her cheeks as she slowly looked down, making me gently bring her face up so our eyes meet again. "Well, what if I... was your Valentine?"