Chapter 48: Don't Leave Me

** Aizawa's POV **

The darkness of the abyss penetrated my skin, filling my hollow body entirely. I was left alone feeling suffocated and cold. No matter how hard I cried for help, only my echoes responded. Is this how it feels like to be in the brink of death?

'Aah, i don't want to die just yet. Not until I properly apologise to y/n,'

When I thought I was done for, a muffled voice resonated in the dark pit I was in. The female voice crescendoed and it soon became apparent that it was Y/N's voice.

"Y/N!" I gasped as my eyes shot open and darted around the room.

The first thing I noticed was the ventilator mask over my face and the IV pole next to me. The fluid in the bag flowed through a tube that was connected to my hand as I scanned the room in confusion wondering what had happen. For a moment, there was intense pain on my shoulder and abdomen, then realisation dawned on me. I must've blacked out after the fight with the Nomu, but for how long?

I tried lifting myself off the bed when a certain girl called out to me.

"Sensei!!" She hastily rushed to my side.

Within seconds, I was cocooned by gentle arms that held me tighter than a mother holding her child. As if seeing I was alive and well wasn't quite enough, she felt every ounce of my body in disbelief. Gasping in between cries as her warm tears seeped through my shirt.

"I-I've ... I've been waiting for you. What took you so long?!"She wept like a baby.

My eyes softened when I felt the familiar embrace of Y/N that I longed for. The light olfactory of her hair infused me, bringing a sense of home. Just like that, the loneliness that once engulfed me in the dark abyss, melted away by her touch.

"So warm..." I whispered and nuzzled the crook of her neck. She clutched my shirt and pressed her body deeper against mine. Both afraid to let go of the other.

"You've been gone for 3 weeks," she told me.

"3 weeks...?"

She released me and gave a fatigue smile. One that is forced and bears grief. As I observed her lethargic features, she began to explain what had happen during the 3 weeks I was gone. From Kaminari's death to Bakugou's kidnaping and the Kamino incident. My heart pounded and with every second, it sank deeper into the pits of my stomach.

I gripped the sheets firmly in distress until my knuckles turned white. I wondered if there could've been any other way to prevent this mishap but there was only me to blame.

As though she could read my thoughts, her hands cupped my cheeks, forcing me to look at her.

"Don't be too hard on yourself, sensei. It's not your fault. You did all you could and I appreciate that," Her voice lulled me like a song and I felt the pressure on me slightly lifted, though not completely.

"And if it weren't you, I would've been sawed to pieces by that Nomu. Just because you couldn't save everyone that doesn't mean you didn't save someone," she rest her hand above mine. I gazed at her for a moment before exhaling shaky breaths.

At the same time, the door opened to reveal a nurse and a doctor. They both responded with the same facial expression of disbelief when they saw my condition.

"You're awake!" The nurse exclaimed, rushing to my side.

It took some time for them to check my health to ensure that I was in perfect state before confirming. They finally concluded that I was good and well. Though they insisted for me to stay a little longer to monitor my well-being, I was impatient to go home. Being in the hospital just felt nauseating.