Chapter 16: What Exactly Is Love?

**Todoroki's POV**

A machine that could turn back time. At first, I didn't want to believe the existence of it. It was too absurd to be true. Then again, we live in a world where people manifest superhuman abilities mysteriously. Time machines should be the least of our concerns,, was what I thought until I saw her disappear right before my own eyes. The horror plastered on her face with the cries of desperation still etched in my mind till this day. I brought that burden with me when I entered the other world, but i never thought it would weigh even heavier.

She was crying in his arms. In Aizawa's arms. It wasn't tears of joy but it was a cry of pain. Freedom was right in front, but even with her death clock ticking, she clenched the textile of his black clothes, refusing to let go. Why, i wondered.

Her e/c eyes flickered up to meet young Aizawa. They were like lovers bidding their last farewell. Something about it tells a tale of two people from two separate worlds who shouldn't have met, but were bound by the red string of fate.

I watched silently as he planted a soft kiss on her forehead. When her tears cascaded, it made me realise that y/n was indeed in love with him.
—-
After the incident, y/n had open up to me even more and before I knew it, my heart accepted her presence entirely. I began to notice little things about y/n like how she would snort in the midst of laughing, or how her nose would twitch when she tells a lie. Her smile was as warm as the sun yet her hollow eyes were colder than a block of ice.

It made me frustrated to see her that way. Masking and suppressing her true emotions. Even when we visited the different booths together, her heart was never there. Yes, she was smiling, but she was also hurting.

'I want to see even just a small glint of light in her eyes'

*Earlier in the day*

"Uraraka, do you have a minute?" I asked.

Uraraka blinked in confusion a few times before nodding. She was the closest to y/n so I figured she could aid me in any way.

"What do girls like?" I blatantly asked.

Her eyes widened within seconds as her face gradually turned scarlet.

"Wh-what?! Why d-do y-you ask. Could it be, y-you, have a girl you like?!" She exclaimed.

I averted my eyes and glanced at y/n who was working hard to entertain the visitors. A smile spread across my face as her grin continued to glimmer. She was too engrossed with the festival that she failed to notice I was staring at her the whole time.

" 'Like' , huh?" I replied and paused momentarily.

"I'm not too sure myself. Truthfully, i've never experienced it, so i can't say for sure. Even the word love confuses me sometimes. I don't understand them. I don't understand my feelings," I muttered.

Uraraka gave a sheepish smile while she scratched her head.

"Well, love is like the next level of like. Like is superficial but love penetrates deep in your heart. It enhances the phenomenal feeling of your attachment towards the person and you will start to notice all the little details. From her facial features to her way of talking," she softly said.

"Huh?" I looked at her, confused.

"Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!" She vigorously ruffled her hair until a light bulb magically lit beside her head.