Chapter 21: With The Heart To Forget You

Aizawa's hair was done neatly in a half-up style unlike usual. It blew back with the breeze of the night, revealing his mournful expression. Dominated by a profound sadness, he stared up at the stars that were banked in the sky. Something about it made your heart throb in pain, maybe because the Aizawa everyone used to know was gone and all that remained was only a hollow soul. Slowly, you walked towards him, not realising the few leaves that laid on the ground like mouse traps. The dead leaves crunched beneath your feet, alarming him and with a quick spun he activated his quirk without hesitation. His red eyes glowed menacingly in the dark making you cower in fear.

"I-it's me," you stuttered with your hands all raised up in surrender.

He let out a sigh of relief before the quirk vanished, dropping his hair back into place. In a harsh demanding tone, he asked, "What are you doing here?"

You gulped nervously and made your way next to him. But instead of sitting down, you remained standing as you stared down at him dead in the eyes. He turned to look at you, face still devoid of emotion.

"It all makes sense now," you paused.

"...The reason why you avoided and pretended not to remember me was because you hated me, don't you?"

There was no response from his side, affirming you that it was the case.

"Because.." your throat started to itch and prickle.

"Because.. i was the cause of Oboro's death. H-He ended up sacrificing himself just to save me so that I could return back. And that was why you refused to face me let alone talk to me.. You hate me, don't you?!"

The last few words ended up becoming a yell that echoed throughout the hill. If it weren't for the festival noises in a distant, the entire city would've surely heard your heart wrenching cry.

"Y/n..." he softly spoke. His voice was no longer harsh, rather it was more empathetic and gentle.

You swallowed your saliva hard, hesitant to say the words that have been in your mind for the past few weeks. Truthfully, your heart had always known that you were the reason for Oboro's demise despite what everyone said. But deep down you refused to acknowledge it. You tried to find solace in Present Mic's words and secretly convinced yourself that Oboro's death was inevitable when it wasn't. If only you hadn't gone back in time, if only you hadn't gone to the festival, then his future wouldn't have to change for your sake. What a despicable human you were. It was time for you to speak up and face the consequences of your actions.

You inhaled slowly, bracing yourself for the words to convey.

"Then please, take away my life right now," you pleaded. For some reason, the fear of dying whisked away because you were determined to receive the punishment for having the rights to even live. You truly believed that you deserved it. After all, murderers deserve execution.

Aizawa stood up almost immediately with his eyes widened in disbelief. He had expected his ears to deceive him but those words were indeed the truth.

"What are you talking about?!"

"I can see through your eyes, what lies behind them are the remnants of despair. It's my fault that everything happened this way. So i want to take responsibility for it," your strained voice wavered, it was barely above a whisper yet you managed to say all that without dissolving the words.

He noticed the remorse in your eyes causing his own to narrow. There was a wave of silence that swept over the both of you. His thoughts seemed to be all over the place but with a soft exhale, he managed to regain his composure in a matter of seconds.