Chapter 22: Never Meant To Be

**Aizawa's POV**

"From today onwards, I will release you," y/n's voice echoed in my ears and pulsated through my heart.

The girl before me began to turn away, her h/c hair swung with the breeze simultaneously effusing a distinct shampoo scent. A nostalgic one. Slowly, her figure became smaller and dimmer as the shadows of the night engulfed her. Before I knew it, her being was long gone and I found myself reaching my hand out to latch on nothing but thin air. She was beyond my reach. The warm ambience that I've been longing for dissipated like the sun on a stormy day. Its absence made me grasp the reality that the world was not built for the two of us, it never was to begin with.

"16 years.....huh? That was long," I uttered under my breath as I recalled the times I would countdown to the day I see her again.

"To think that it'd end up like this.. How pathetic.." I let out a small chuckle and faced the raven sky with a heavy heart.

"But it's better to end things this way. I've caused her so much pain, I lied to her and did things that were forbidden. Even if it means separation, I will never tell her the truth about what happened... on that rainy day,"

**Y/n's POV**

The normal route back home felt longer than usual, it felt like the street was stretching endlessly into the darkness. There was no telling where it was leading you to. At the same time, your footsteps became sluggish and you were completely lethargic. By now, the tears have stopped spilling but the crying had definitely took a toll on you.

"I feel like I've just experienced a break up..." you sniffled and wiped the remaining mucus off your nose with your sleeves.

Aizawa was your first love. In the beginning, it was nothing more than admiration. After all, he was the hero who saved you on the rainy day when the lightning quirked villain took away your mother's life. Ever since then, he was like an idol. While everyone else fancied All Might, you were the only person who admired the Eraser Head despite his subtle appearance in media. He wasn't flashy but he was competent enough to guard the city like a hidden angel. When you discovered that he was your homeroom teacher, you were beyond happy to say the least. The way he cared for people in discreet made you appreciate him even more and before you knew it, the admiration soon turned to love. The experienced of going back in time through the time machine only amplified that sentiment and you couldn't help but to fall head over heels with him harder. Unfortunately, everything had to come to an end.

"To think that he would dump me on the same exact place where we both kissed for the second time," you sighed while trudging across the street.

All of a sudden, your phone lit up and vibrated through your back pocket. You hastily took it out in hopes of seeing Aizawa's name when the screen displayed a different person.

'Todoroki?'

Pressing the green button, you put your phone next to your ear and paused momentarily to composed yourself before greeting him.

"Hello?"

"Ah y/n," he replied. This was the first time he phoned you. Somehow it felt refreshing.

"Yes? Is there something wrong?" You asked.

"Hm? Ah, no. I was just wondering how you're doing... since the sports festival is coming up,"

You slightly smiled at the way he showed his care nonchalantly. Even so, it still didn't erase your pain after what just happened. You inhaled deeply and tried to suck the tears in but the words produced ended up wavering.

"I-I-m f-fine,"

Todoroki was sharp to notice the faltering and nasal voice. Behind the screen, you had the ugliest crying face, with your eyes all swollen and red stuffy nose. A sigh escaped his lips when he heard the apparent lie.