Connections

Jungkook ran as fast as his four wolf legs could carry him. Seeing the Kim cabin still standing just as he and Taehyung had left it gave him relief.

The duo slowed as they neared the cabin. Jungkook smelled nothing nearby other than the usual animals, so they took a few minutes to catch their breath. Well, Jungkook did.

He flopped onto the snow and sucked air into his burning lungs. "I haven't run that hard in a while."

Taehyung was still a bit on edge. "I'm going in. Don't relax out here too long, or you might be the next casualty."

Jungkook paused at the tense tone of his friend. He knew he was right, but the cold snow felt wonderful on his overheated body.

His mind hadn't forgotten what Hoseok said about Jaci being Jungkook's mate. Had he just been that stupid?

"Yes."

Jungkook groaned as his wolf answered loud and clear.

"Well, I don't think I'm the only one to blame here," he argued.

"You didn't seem too keyed into the whole mate thing either. But whatever. Now, what do we do?"

"Protect her."

Jungkook rolled over and got up on his feet. "That's what I've been doing, and look where it's gotten me. How many wolves can say they've been banished from their pack twice?"

He shook the snow from his fur and plodded up the steps to the cabin door, and nosed it open. As he walked in, his eyes immediately cut over to Jaci, seated at the kitchen table instead of resting in the bed.

His wolf urged him closer to her and had to see for himself that she was fine. Jungkook was too tired to argue, so he allowed his wolf to lead him over to her. He didn't even fuss when his wolf nosed Jaci's wound. It seemed to be healing instead of getting worse.

"Hey there," smiled Jaci, unable to keep her hands off the furry ears of the wolf.

Jungkook grunted his hello and went about getting humanly presentable again.

* * *

Jaci watched as the wolf pulled open the bottom drawer of the dresser and snatched out some clothes with his teeth. When he went into the bathroom and used his back leg to kick the door closed, she turned back to Sunny.

"I know he's a werewolf, therefore half-human, but seeing him be sentient in his wolf form still gets me every time." She wrapped her hands around the warm mug that Sunny had refilled with tea.

"Yeah, it is pretty funny to watch. You should see him when he gets all huffy and pouty."

Just then, Taehyung exited the bedroom in fresh clothes. "Where is Jungkook?"

"Here," said Jungkook, coming from the bathroom now fully human and fully dressed. His cheeks were rosy, and his eyes focused solely on one person in the room.

"Are you going to tell us what's going on now?" sighed Sunny, impatience filling her voice.

Taehyung's somber frown returned, and he continued with his tale. "Once we had reached Claret House, we saw the Luna dead on the deck. The alpha lost it."

Sunny's hands flew to her face, and she gasped. "Ga-Eun?"

"The lady that gave me the healing ointment?" Jaci's brow furrowed in concern.

"Yes," mumbled Jungkook. He came to stand behind Jaci's chair.

"Who did it, Tae?" Sunny's eyes became a deep red, and the air around her became heavy with feelings of anger and disgust.