Unleashed

Jaci's eyelids felt like they were loaded with lead. Her ears could hear everything in the room, but her eyes just struggled to open, and her body refused to move.

"Something is up with that pack, and I will get to the bottom of it."

Jaci heard the restrained anger in Zephyr's voice and she was glad she couldn't see his face.

"Why not just ask them?" Aydan's voice was low and quiet. Rustling of material and the mild creak of a chair told Jaci he had sat down.

"Perhaps because I dread the thought of them lying to my face and then having to do something about it. No, I will do this my way." Zephyr sighed.

Jaci felt the silence fill the room like a thick blanket. Her hands were still wrapped around Jungkook's arm and she felt the warmth emanating from them. He was still alive and she was happy about it.

"Plus, I think Ga-Eun, wherever she may be, wanted me to help these two somehow. But tell me, Aydan, what do I do if I find out they've betrayed me or lied to me somehow?"

"Obviously not what you would usually do, considering they're Ga-Eun's personal friends. I'm not sure, Master. We've been pulled into quite a pickle, I'm afraid."

"Hmm. Seems so. Alright," said Zephyr, slapping his knees, "I'm going to go downstairs and see if this place has any decent tea."

"Are you sure? I can go. You should rest."

"If I stay in the room any longer I might go completely mad, Aydan. No, I need some fresh air. Not the kind stained with blood and Hunter filth."

"Then I shall accompany you."

Another moment of silence passed. Zephyr seemed to be contemplating Aydan's offer.

"I suppose I cannot force you to stay. I doubt these two will wake up any time soon. Alright, let's go. If the vampires whine about it, just ignore them."

Jaci listened for several more minutes as the two men prepared themselves to leave the room. As the door clicked shut, her eyelids became free of their weight and flew open. Only a few lamps were on, casting a soft glow around the room.

She ran her gaze over the room for just a moment before locking it on the man beside her. His face was less pale than before, but there was still not enough color in his cheeks for her liking. Sweat lined his hairline and damp clumps of hair clung to his skin. His lips were dry, nearly cracking in places.

Jaci struggled to sit up, turning her weary body towards Jungkook. His wound was covered with gauze and taped to the sides of his torso. She trailed her fingers down one edge, willing him to be completely healed. It pained her to see him so broken and helpless. He was so healthy and whole in their little dreamland, nothing like what she was seeing now.

At the top edge of the gauze, nearly to the little indentation at the base of his throat, she saw the blackened edges of the wound. They seemed charred. Her eyebrows knit together as she pondered whether this was what caused him to scream and talk about feeling like he was burning. Her hand travelled upwards to delicately remove the chunks of hair from his face and press them back against his other hair. His skin was clammy and her nose crinkled at the feel of it.

She slowly stood up off the bed and walked into the small bathroom, finding one last washcloth and wetting it with cool water. She returned to Jungkook's side and sat down, careful not to jostle him too much. With gentle movements she washed away the sweat and grime from his face. She washed away the grit from the tears he had shed, and marveled at his beautifully long eyelashes.

"Feels good," he mumbled through his dry lips, startling her and making her withdraw her hand sharply.

"Are you fully awake?" she asked.