Narrow Misses

Jungkook and Jaci had spent twenty minutes cleaning up the breakfast mess, laughing and chatting as they did so. Jungkook learned Jaci was a self-proclaimed "airhead," and while he disagreed, he laughed as she regaled him with story after story entailing her absent-minded exploits.

Jaci learned that Jungkook loved photography and that his affinity for snow was borderline obsessive. Nevertheless, she found it all endearing and made a mental note to watch him more closely when they visited Taehyung's side of the mountain.

Which then reminded her...

"Hey, I want to go check on Sunny. Do you mind?" she asked as they stood ready to exit the kitchen.

Jungkook frowned. "My permission isn't required in a situation like this, you know. Only in pack matters."

Jaci grinned at his seriousness and shook her head. "I wasn't necessarily asking for permission. I was simply being considerate. I wasn't sure if you had plans or not."

Jungkook's ears tinged red. He smiled shyly and shook his head. "Not unless you want to go have a run with me."

Jaci grinned. "I think that would be fun. Just give me a few minutes to check on our vampy friends first."

Jungkook's head dropped back, and he laughed loudly. "Don't let Hyung hear you call him vampy."

Jaci giggled, and her heart swelled with affection as she listened to him laugh whole-heartedly. The way his nose scrunched up when he laughed made her heart race. He was so adorable and yet drop-dead handsome at the same time. It shouldn't even be allowed for a man to be so good-looking, but apparently, Jungkook was severely blessed.

Jungkook finally stopped laughing and leaned over to place a chaste kiss on Jaci's temple. His hands were stuffed into his pockets as he did so, clenched into fists in an effort to resist pulling her against him and keeping her in his arms for the entire day.

"Don't be too long," he whispered, making goosebumps rise on her skin.

"I won't," she assured him, casting demure glances at him as she walked away.

The kitchen door closed behind her, and Jungkook let out a slow release of air through puffed cheeks. He was antsy to get home and start their life together, leading their pack as a mated pair.

Speaking of his pack, he wondered where Hoseok and Jimin were. But he didn't have to wonder long because the pair came shuffling through the door looking haggard and worn.

Jungkook looked at them with concern, and he felt guilty that he had gotten a good night's rest while they had been cleaning up after the fight. He jumped into action as the pair slumped down in their chairs.

"Coffee?" he asked.

Both men nodded, eager to get some amount of caffeine into their systems.

"Who knew Hunters were like lead when they're dead?" Jimin stretched out his stiff arms over his head, groaning at the soreness he felt in them.

"I'm just glad it's done. I'm ready to go home." Hoseok leaned his head back, rubbing his cheeks with his dirt-stained hands.

"What did you do with them all?" asked Jungkook as he set two steaming mugs down in front of his friends.

"Cut off their heads and then dug a thousand holes. If there are any legends of Hunters coming back to life, I'm certain none of these will. Especially considering we buried them upside down in those six-foot deep holes, I don't think any of them will be back."

Jungkook laughed at Hoseok's disgusted tone as he spoke. "Thank you for doing all that. I'm sure it was hard work."

Hoseok nodded slowly in agreement as he pulled his head down towards his chest. "It was an honor to fight alongside you, Alpha."