The Full Moon

The sky was bright blue and fluffy white clouds floated lazily across the blue canvas. Birds sang their songs amidst the branches of the tallest trees. The leaves shivered as furry lifeforms scurried through them in pursuit of one another, a ritual as old as time.

Jaci let out a sigh, breathing out some of her stresses up towards the clouds. The sunlight danced through the tree leaves, casting lacy patterns on her face and the ground she laid on.

It was definitely warmer on the werewolf side of Blood Mountain. Green grass, singing birds, and even the bright sunlight seemed to exude a happier aura than its colder counterpart.

"Do you think that Sunny really likes living in a frozen tundra all the time?" Jaci turned her head and looked at the sleepy eyes of the werewolf next to her.

Jungkook stretched his arms over his head and groaned. "I never asked her. She never complains. I imagine that she's just happy to be wherever Hyung is."

Jaci watched his eyes struggle to stay open, and when they finally closed completely, his lips slowly drifted apart. She grinned as little snores came from him. He seemed completely at peace.

She turned her head back to face the canopy above them, anxiety and nervousness gnawing at her stomach. The time of the full moon was coming and the fear of the unknown was beginning to have a tight grip on her.

She had spent the last few days inside the pack grounds, learning their customs, meeting the members, helping with tasks and chores. Her thumbs caressed the small calluses she was forming from helping carry wood into cabins for the elder wolves.

The pack was quite diverse, being a hodgepodge of stray and packless wolves. Hoseok had made sure any werewolves that came to his doorstep had a safe place to remain.

Jaci thought of Ga-Eun and how much she must have been a part of that. From running the Claret House where countless strays had stayed until they decided to remain or move on, to helping keep the pack organized and following their Alpha.

Ga-Eun must have been an amazing woman and werewolf. Jaci's brow furrowed as she wondered if she could be that amazing someday. Everything relied on the upcoming full moon. Would she even be able to fit into the pack society if she didn't change into a werewolf? Would they accept her despite her being just an ordinary human?

And if she did change, where would she fit into the hierarchy of this pack? Would she be at the bottom of the food chain and have to work her way up? Or if she stayed with Jungkook would her status in the pack be automatically lifted by association?

You're being too loud. Pipe down.

Jaci closed her eyes as the presence tickled her mind with its thoughts. Jungkook had told her to reach out to it, speak to it, and try to connect. If she did not become a werewolf, this would be as close as she would be to a being like this.

"Just exactly who are you? I know you've been in my head for a while, but I don't even know your name."

It's not important right now.

Jaci felt irritated at its smug reluctance to share personal info. She closed her eyes and reached out again.

"Are you here because of this bite?"

Perhaps. Or maybe I'm just a voice in your head. Either way, we are connected for the time being and I cannot rest because of your incessant worrying.

"I'm nervous. Probably more like scared."

Why? You are not alone.

"I just want to get past this waiting part. I am surrounded with amazing people who do their best to help me-"