Come Back

"It seems to be healing even quicker," mused Jungkook as he looked at Jaci's wound.

"It always feels better when you're around. Maybe it has to do with the bond?" Jaci shrugged.

"Maybe," he muttered in return.

The pair became quiet. Jungkook seemed lost in his thoughts, which was just fine with Jaci.

She was trying to remain calm, despite all of the information running through her head. She was attempting to keep a positive outlook, if for no other reason than she did not want to see Jungkook hurt. But if she were to be completely honest, the entire idea of a mate bond with a werewolf she didn't even truly know scared her to death.

The only thing that gave her some measure of peace that this whole thing was real and would potentially be okay was the strange presence she felt living in her head.

It wasn't a very loud presence, just a subtle touch in her mind, it seemed. But there were definite times when Jaci felt she wasn't in control of herself at all. Just like when her voice was saying things Jaci wasn't aware of. It was creepy and sort of cool at the same time.

Her gaze slid to her right and fell on Jungkook, who was softly snoring. He must have been exhausted. Jaci took the opportunity to truly consider the man whom the Moon decided was the best fit for her.

His dark black hair, parted just a little to the right of center, was shiny and thick. It drifted down over his closed eyes, and she reached up to gently push it back. He grunted softly and shifted his head towards her hand but never woke.

Jaci shifted her body to face him and leaned her head against the wall. What had this man seen in his decades of life? What made him who and what he was at this very moment?

She pulled her knees up to her chest and hugged them with her arms. Panic was slowly setting into her heart as she watched Jungkook sleep.

This world, this country, these people... it was all so different. She felt like an outsider forcing her way into an elite club.

Sunny didn't trust her, which in turn meant Taehyung wouldn't trust her either. Jungkook was merely defending her because of the supposed mate bond. And his pack... well, at least his Alpha would rather see her dead.

She had already been attacked, and if Jungkook hadn't come along, that she-wolf might have finished the job she started. The entire idea made Jaci shudder.

She had to admit to herself that she was scared. She tried to tell herself that it was more than likely just a fear of the unknown. But Jaci knew it was more than that.

She needed reassuring. She needed comfort. And the only person she knew to call was everyone's mortal enemy at the moment.

But surely they were all wrong. She had spent her entire college career under Derrick Fenton's tutelage. They had worked countless hours together, and she knew almost everything there was to know about the man.

Well, that was obviously false. She had no idea he was a born member of the Hunter Society. But not once did she ever get a murderous vibe from Dr. Fenton. He was gentle, kind, and thoughtful. He never scolded her like other professors, and he never made her feel uncomfortable.

She didn't want to believe that he was this monster who only wanted to kill. It really seemed too far-fetched for her to believe. And what about when he let the group of werewolves and vampires leave? He didn't kill them then, why would he need to kill them now?

She pulled her phone from her pocket and opened up her messaging app. Her fingers trembled as she began a new message.

Part of her screamed this was a bad idea, and the other part screamed and yearned for the things that were most familiar.