Things To Be Done

"Welcome back," said Aydan, holding the back door open for his master.

"I feel like I just ran a terrifying marathon. I'm getting too old for this." Zephyr stepped inside the door, and kicked off his blood-soaked shoes onto the multi-colored braided rug situated just inside the doorway. His socks were also peeled off and dropped beside his shoes.

"You could have just walked away," muttered Aydan. He stood behind Zephyr, pulling his coat off, and then his suit coat. Both were soaked clean through with blood.

"Yes, you're correct, I very well could have. However, they chose to attack my guest. I won't stand for it. An example needed to be made. However, I now feel disgusting."

Aydan held back his remark of "You look disgusting too." It wouldn't help anything anyway. "Zephyr, what are your thoughts on this girl? Is she legitimate?"

Aydan dropped the clothing Zephyr kept shedding into a black plastic garbage bag. There was no point in saving them. He would have to order more from the tailor tomorrow.

Zephyr stopped, a hand resting on the band of his briefs. "I think she is. And I know Ga-Eun wouldn't have sent her if she wasn't. I implicitly trust Ga-Eun, therefore I trust this girl."

He paused and looked back over his shoulder at Aydan. "Please let her know I will be visiting her as soon as I'm cleaned up. I want to make sure she made it through tonight's ordeal with limited damage." Zephyr turned and walked into the bathroom, shutting the door firmly behind him.

Aydan finished disposing of the soiled clothing and then went to the small kitchen to wash his hands. After drying them on a towel embroidered with "Home Sweet Home" in a shabby red thread, he looked at the small staircase. He plopped the towel onto the counter and walked up to Jaci's room. He rapped lightly on the door with his knuckles and then waited for permission to enter.

When he received none, he contemplated just walking away. But Zephyr wanted to see her, so he had best wake her up.

He stepped into the room and saw Jaci on the vintage wrought-iron bed, sleeping soundly. Her side table light was still on, casting a warm yellowish tint over the room. Aydan pulled up the wooden spindle chair from the corner of the room and sat down next to Jaci's bed. He watched her for a few moments as his thoughts tried to sort themselves out.

This girl was a mystery. She certainly smelled like a werewolf, albeit faintly, but any other physical traits were glaringly absent. He watched her groan softly and roll onto her back. Her hair fell back to the pillow and he saw, for the first time, a wound on her neck.

He leaned forward and inspected it with great scrutiny. Had it always been there? Had she gotten it during the fight? It looked like a bite mark, but definitely not a result of mating. It's edges were red and puckered, pink lines radiating out from it across her otherwise unblemished neck.

Something was definitely off about this girl. But he trusted Zephyr. And if Zephyr trusted Ga-Eun, thereby trusting Jaci, then he would too.

He decided he had been creepy enough and reached out to lightly shake Jaci's shoulder. "Jaci, I'm sorry to wake you, but Lord Zephyr wants to talk to you in a few minutes."

She groaned and turned her head away, but her hand reached up to her neck and she grimaced and whimpered. "Hurts," she mumbled, still half asleep.

"I will get you something for it soon. Can you wake up, please?"

Jaci flopped her head back over to look at Aydan through bloodshot eyes. "Can't he wait until morning?"

"I'm afraid not," chuckled Aydan. "He's a pretty impatient man. He should be up any second, and as soon as he knows you're okay, he'll let you go back to sleep." He leaned back in the chair, and crossed his legs, placing his ankle on his opposite knee.