Betrayal

"Couldn't you just use your super speed to get us there quicker?" Jiho was leaned as far away from Taehyung as she could possibly be. Their cab sped down the streets, urged to break the speed limits by a few mumbled comments from the vampire in the back seat.

"And exert all my strength? No. Plus, it gives me a few more minutes to interrogate you."

Jiho grimaced and turned to look out the window, her scarf pulled up over her nose and mouth. She had dealt with many vampires over her lifetime. They were always unpredictable, given to quick tempers and emotions that ran higher than the sky, plus they always carried a strong stench of death. Werewolves smelled nicer, more earthy and familiar. They seemed more carefree than the uptight vamps. One would think immortality would cause the vampires to loosen up, but it simply made them the opposite.

"How do you know Zephyr?" queried Taehyung.

Jiho took a deep breath and looked ahead. "I used to be a spy for the Society. I was tasked with watching his every move. It was difficult. He is stealthy and knows how to cover his tracks very well."

"Who did you speak with when you called?" Taehyung pressed further, seeming to glaze over her Hunter Society confession.

Jiho frowned at him and scoffed. "A lady can't reveal all of her secrets."

"Funny. Didn't know I was speaking with a lady."

Jiho tried not to show her annoyance. For looking so regal, this vamp was sure crass and annoying. "Don't bite the hand that's feeding you, vamp," she sneered.

"Hands aren't satisfying enough. However, that neck of yours is looking pretty tasty. Now, who did you speak with on the phone?"

Jiho was glad the cab came to a stop and the driver numbly turned to announce their arrival. Taehyung leaned forward and whispered something into his ear and then left the cab, impatiently motioning for Jiho to get out as well.

"I can't be seen here," she angrily whispered.

"Your life is hanging by a thread no matter what you do," growled Taehyung, reaching into the cab and jerking Jiho out by her arm.

She winced and yanked her arm back once she was standing outside the cab. The driver sped off, not even asking for his fare.

"Cheapskate," she thought.

She looked around nervously before following Taehyung up to the door. She kept her head low and her scarf up almost to her eyebrows. To be seen entering one of Zephyr's houses would endanger her on so many levels.

Taehyung didn't even knock, kicking the door open and stalking in like a bear on the hunt. "Zephyr! Get out here!" he roared.

Jiho cowered by the door, pressing it closed as much as it could in its current damaged state. Her eyes skittered nervously around the open foyer, trying to see anything in the shadows.

Taehyung turned his head along with his body, eyes darting to every nook and cranny. "Zephyr!" he yelled even louder.

"I would almost think you are an American with how rude you're being," said a voice, sauntering out from a darkened doorway. "You crash my front door, come into my home uninvited, yelling and screaming. Did you leave your manners somewhere, your Highness?"

Taehyung's eyes were a dark burgundy as he held himself back from attacking the arrogant wolf. The use of his former title simply served to aggravate him further. "Am I to be impressed that you know who I am?"

"No, you don't have to be. Oh, Jiho, come in, dear. No need to hide by that door." Zephyr smiled kindly at Jiho, beckoning her in with a wave of his hand.