Home Is Where Your Heart Is

Spring was ending and summer was just on its heels, bringing warmer temperatures and greener foliage to the werewolf side of Blood Mountain. Flowers were blooming, grass was greening up, and Blood River was singing it's babbling song as it trickled down the mountain, dividing the mountain in half.

The wolves' side of the mountain had become more peaceful than it had in centuries past. The new Alpha wolf, Hoseok, had kept peace with little effort for the last twenty years or so since taking over the Blood Mountain Pack. He ruled with fairness, yet firmness. He was well respected and very well loved.

Word had quickly gotten out that the Blood Mountain wolf pack was regrouping after being almost completely decimated. Restarting the pack with only three males had made it clear that there was room for new members, especially females. Several wolves, male and female, needing a new pack, had shown up on the mountain. Some with open minds stayed. Others left after finding out the mountain was a shared territory.

Werewolves and vampires were like oil and water, at least that was what werewolf parents had taught their children for centuries, and the fairy tales had affirmed it with absolute authority. And perhaps it was all true, once upon a time. But for the residents of Blood Mountain, coexistence was not only necessary, it was a way of life.

After a few years of finding new members, the pack was finally thriving, all while living just across the river from a pair of vampires. Both species kept to their own and peace prevailed. And as peace settled to stay on the mountain, and mates were found, subsequently, pups were born.

"Jungkookie!! Come play with us!" A small gray wolf pup named Young-Soo, not even tall enough to reach Jungkook's knee, was bounding around the older wolf, who had found his way to the outer bank of the river.

Behind the pup were five others, varying in color. Young-Soo belonged to the Alpha, and was frequently catered to by other members of the pack. Thus, his demanding nature. But because of that, Jungkook often tried to make the little one work harder for his attention.

"I already shifted once today. I'm tired," yawned Jungkook, plopping himself down into the grass.

Six pups immediately ran up to him, their little fluffy tails wagging, yips and barks of pleading and excitement filling the air.

"But we had to wait till our chores were done! And our Mamas made us do school work!" whined another pup.

"Maybe after my nap," sighed Jungkook, laying down in the grass and flopping an arm over his face.

A cacophony of whines surrounded him. He grinned under the cover of his arm and did his best to keep his giggling in check. It was difficult. The pack pups all knew that Jungkook was the one to find when they wanted to play.

"Pups," said a low voice full of authority.

Each pup dropped to its haunches and sat at attention as their alpha approached.

"Why are you bothering your uncle?" Hoseok asked, eying his son.

"We just wanted to play," said Sun-hi, Young-Soo's twin with bright blue eyes, gray fur, and white socked feet, unlike her brother who was all gray.

"It's true, hyung," said Jungkook, sitting upright with a grin full of mischief.

All six little heads turned towards him, giving him looks of utter betrayal.

"Sorry, pups," he giggled.

"Go play with the other pack pups. I need to speak with your uncle," said Hoseok, reaching down and scruffing Sun-hi's ears. She leaned into his hand and closed her eyes, happiest when she received attention from her father.