The Slowest Way To Die Is To Wait For A Loved One To Live

No one spoke a word or moved a muscle. The air felt almost sacred as Taehyung clutched Sunny's body to his own. One arm was wrapped around her head, holding it to his neck, while the other wrapped around her torso in a tight hug.

It was painful to watch and even more painful to hear him sob and beg Sunny not to leave him. Twenty years was hardly enough considering how long he had waited for her.

Zephyr broke the group trance first, tripping over the bodies of the dead as he made his way to Taehyung and Sunny. "You've given her blood," he stated as he knelt beside them. "It's not over yet."

Taehyung shook his head. "There's nothing. No response. I feel nothing from her."

"Give her to me," said Zephyr, trying to tug Sunny from the arms of her husband.

"Over my dead body," Taehyung ground out, his eyes a deep burgundy.

Zephyr leaned back on his heels, hands before him in surrender. "Fine. Take her upstairs to your room. I'll be there in a moment."

Taehyung lifted himself and Sunny with ease and rushed up the stairs. Everyone let out a collective sigh of relief as the pair disappeared down the hallway.

"She will be okay, right?" said Jungkook, staring at Zephyr with golden eyes.

Zephyr sucked in a deep breath. "Depends on how good our luck is."

Grabbing Aydan by the arm, Zephyr dragged him off to a door on the side of the grand foyer. It slammed behind them, and the room was silent once again.

"You two head upstairs and find some clothes. Jimin and I will clean up here," sighed Hoseok, looking tired and a bit haggard.

Jimin smiled as brightly as he could and nodded his agreement, even though the strength-giving adrenaline was wearing off. "Yeah, let us take care of this mess. It would be best if you guys got yourselves ready if Taehyung goes off the deep end. Pretty sure you're the only one besides Sunny who can talk him down, Kook."

Jungkook sighed and lumbered towards the staircase. He looked back over his shoulder and, with no sound at all, beckoned Jaci to follow. She did, and the two wolves went back up to the room they had shared overnight.

Once inside the room, Jungkook looked at himself in a long mirror on one of the walls. His fur was matted with blood and gore. He looked more like a dead Alpha than a living one, more like one who had been defeated in battle and ran off with its tail between its legs.

Jaci walked up behind him, looking at the reflection of them together. Her fur fared no better. They would both need hot showers that included vigorous scrubbing.

"I'm proud of you, my Alpha," she said, nuzzling her cheek against his face.

Jungkook felt shy at her praise. She had said it so quickly, and he felt more assured that she accepted him and their positions.

"I'm proud of you also, my Luna," he responded, leaning his large head over to bump hers. "You fought so well. Thank you."

Jaci pushed her muzzle against his neck and chuffed out a contented sound.

"You get cleaned up first," she said. "Taehyung needs you."

Jungkook lowered his head, a soft whine building in the back of his throat. "If he loses Sunny, I don't know if I can even calm him down. He will be lost."

"Let's not think about that," said Jaci softly. "Go get cleaned up. I'll wait for you."

Jungkook nodded and grabbed some clothes before shuffling off to the bathroom. As soon as the door was closed behind him, he shifted, standing tall once more. Looking in the mirror, he looked worse in this form than the other. Barely any of his skin was absent of blood. He wasn't even sure if some of it wasn't his own.