Just Like Old Times

Jaci was once again holed up in her single resident dorm room (which she had acquired by the merit of her good grades), mulling over old newspaper articles, copies of Professor North's works on the supernatural, and any tid bit she could glean from social media, or faculty that had been around when Sunny Day was a student and assistant.

She had worked tirelessly during her down times in the summer, between semesters, and even between classes trying to dig up new clues as to what could have happened to the duo.

"Marla North died some time before her husband went missing," she murmured.

"The couple had no kids, but faculty knew they had practically adopted Sunny. What was so special about her?"

Jaci pushed through small scraps of paper, note pages, and copied reports that she was able to obtain from the police. A large sum of money had been deposited into Sunny's account a few weeks before she left for South Korea, never to be heard from again.

She looked through the text messages that had been retrieved.

"Hey, Professor! Just letting you know I'm here safe and sound. Korea is beautiful but boy, is it hot! Remind me to never come in the summer again. As you can see the mountain is covered in snow, just like we read about. The locals prefer not to talk about the place. It does seem a bit scary walking up to it. That memorial tree at the base of it is kind of haunting. So many names... anyway!  Mind your blood sugar count. Take your meds.  I'll message you when I have more information!"

That was Sunny's first text to her beloved professor. She still sounded optimistic at that point. But it was the next text that always sent chills racing up and down Jaci's spine.

"My dear professor. I'm still investigating the mountain. My research has been profitable. I've found some things of interest to you and I can't wait to share with you about them. Professor, the legends were true. Vampires and werewolves do exist. I can't believe I just typed that, but it's true. I have enclosed a quick photo I secretly snapped of them both. You won't believe what I've found out. I'll video chat with you as soon as I get back to Young Mi's and I will tell you all about it then. Please don't be worried if you don't hear from me regularly. My signal up here in the mountain comes and goes. Take care. Be sure to check your blood sugar before bed. Talk to you soon."

The photo attached to the message showed a young looking male, pale, with ashen gray hair. Another male, darker than the other in every way, stood nearby. It wasn't clear to Jaci that the two were supernatural beings, but apparently it was to Sunny.

The messages the professor followed up with became increasingly worrying. Jaci was, by nature, an empathetic person. The worry that was behind his messages always made her heart ache.

"Sunny! When are you coming back? I'm going to start looking for you soon. I don't care how scary that mountain is."

"Sunny! I'm really worried. You haven't come home yet. It's been over a day. Please, Sunny. Just answer my message at least."

At one point he seemed resigned that she wasn't going to answer, filling his message with small talk.

"How are you, sweet girl? I miss you around the office. I hope you're having a fruitful trip. I've been talking to a new professor in the blood studies department. I didn't know it, but he's quite the supernatural expert as well! He's young. Probably in his late 30's. Name is Derrick. Anyway, you two would really hit it off. He said he's working on a private project in his own lab at his house.  Something about being able to reverse vampirism. Of course, I think he might be a bit off. But he's very knowledgeable about his work. I miss you, Sunny. Just a while till you come home. We should go to that little restaurant that Marla loved so much. I haven't been there in a while. Text me soon!"