Sometimes It Takes A Vampire

"This is not good," murmured Zephyr. He was seated before the lit fireplace, staring at the memo held in his hand.

"I know," said Aydan, leaning one arm against the edge of the gray stone fireplace.

"So, your contact said just one attack? A werewolf?"

"Yes, a foreigner."

Zephyr sighed. "This doesn't seem to be a revenge attack for my little escapade. Victim was possibly tracked. Any other info on this werewolf?"

Aydan stood straight and tucked his hands into the pockets of his black slacks. "Male. Hard to tell the age, of course. Asian. Other than that, we are still digging."

Zephyr's face contorted into a frown. "Asian?"

"Mm." Aydan nodded and let out a sigh.

Jaci burst into the room, the door to the small living room area being slammed back against the wall.

"What on-" exclaimed Aydan, his stance going from relaxed to defensive immediately.

"It's not polite to enter a room that way, my dear," said Zephyr, slowly turning in his seat to face Jaci.

"Did the man live?" said Jaci, her voice beginning to tremble.

"It's also impolite to eavesdrop," sighed Zephyr, turning back in his seat and settling into it once more.

Jaci rushed over and stood in front of him, her demeanor exuding defiance. "Is he still alive?"

Zephyr shrugged. "It is of no real consequence to me right now. It's best to keep our heads low for the time being. We have no need to meddle in the private affairs of the Hunter Society."

"How can you say that?" exclaimed Jaci, a look of pain etched on her face. "It's one of your own kind! Don't you even care?"

Zephyr let out another heavy sigh and slowly rose to his feet. He looked down into Jaci's now upturned face. "It may seem cold and indifferent to you, but to me, and to Aydan, and everyone else that is under my care, it is the only way to stay alive."

Jaci's lips formed a tight line and she spun around to face Aydan. "Call your source. Find out the name of that werewolf."

Zephyr let out a dark chuckle as Aydan looked to him for guidance. "I'm sorry, my dear, but he doesn't answer to you. You have no right to order him to do a thing."

Jaci stared at Aydan, tears filling her eyes and anger filling her chest. "I need to know who it was."

Zephyr took her arm and turned her around. "To be honest, we do not yet know. But I am now quite curious as to why you care so much?"

Jaci stared into his icy blue eyes as she tried to formulate her response. Did she dare tell him that she feared it was Jungkook who was attacked? Was she foolish for even assuming Jungkook would come after her? What if it was a complete stranger and she convinced these two men to stick out their necks to find out just who the victim was.

She took the easy road. "I... I don't know. I just do."

"You are a terrible liar. But, I won't hold it against you. Now, run off to bed. I expect the rest of my conversation with my assistant to be private, as they were meant to be."

Jaci cast one more look at Aydan, who was doing a marvelous job of avoiding her eyes.

"Fine," she mumbled, and dashed out of the room.

Aydan sighed as the door to the living room slammed shut once more. He pinched the bridge of his nose and growled softly. "Why couldn't she be one of the dumb and guillable ones?"