Distractions

Derrick stood over the dead wolf with his hands on his hips. He wished it had been a low level wolf. With a dead Luna, their plan had advanced exponentially, and it wouldn't leave them with much time. It wouldn't be long before they had an angry pack of werewolves on their doorstep.

He sighed and looked at the tree line behind the house. Those dense woods could hide a multitude of sins. He would have to be on his guard even more now. Now was not the time to be distracted.

"You look conflicted, Hunter."

Speaking of distractions.

Derrick looked over his shoulder for a brief moment before returning his eyes to the forest. It was much more interesting than this traitorous garbage next to him.

"I have nothing to say to you. If you want to talk to someone, talk to Fixer."

"So rude. Still mad I offed your friend?" Yun Hee stood next to Derrick, stretching her arms up over her head.

Derrick spun and gripped her throat in his hand. She grinned at him, her laughing eyes looking out from under her eyelashes.

Derrick felt nothing but pure rage. "If I find out you are telling the truth, I will personally make sure your pelt ends up on my floor."

Yun Hee choked, but kept her smile. Her eyes glowed a subtle red and a pair of canines made their appearance, resting at the top of her bottom lip.

"Oh, you can believe I took care of her. For a human, she was quite tasty."

Derrick heard enough. With all the strength he had, he slung Yun Hee over the railing of the deck and into the dense foliage at the tree line.

Fixer came out nursing a cup of steaming coffee. He quirked one eyebrow as he blew the light steam from his cup. "No killing the help, Fenton."

"If she speaks to me again, I will personally enjoy gutting and skinning that piece of trash."

Derrick stormed back into the house.

Fixer leaned on the deck rail and watched Yun Hee pick herself up, brushing off debris from her jeans.

"Your pal is a real jerk."

Fixer smirked and shrugged. "Believe me, he's much better at his job when he's angry. However, if I were you and wanted to live another day, I would avoid agitating him more than you already have."

Yun Hee scowled. "How was I to know that chick was a friend of a Hunter? She got in my way."

Fixer sipped his coffee. "How so?"

Yun Hee smoothed down her hair. "She was a distraction. Listen, with the Luna dead, you know there's going to be some angry wolves coming soon. I guarantee they won't be happy to see me. I want your word, you'll protect me."

Fixer smiled over his coffee cup. "Of course."

Yun Hee smiled and ascended up the stairs to the deck. She cast a wink his way before walking into the house. "I'll hold you to that, Hunter," she said over her shoulder.

When she shut the door, Fixer looked down at the dead wolf still laying on the deck. "I am beginning to understand why she got banished from your pack. Very annoying."

Fixer looked down and noticed his cup had gone cool. He scowled and flung the rest of the cold coffee out into the brown grass.

***

Jaci tried to sit at the table and eat some soup, but she was too tired. The smallest amount of activity left her exhausted. Eventually, Sunny made her promise to stay in bed.