On Your Own Terms

The unlikely trio consisting of two vampires and one werewolf sat around the small kitchen table. Each had their hands wrapped around a steaming mug of hot chocolate. The only difference was the mountain of melting marshmallows floating in Jungkook's red mug.

"So, tell us what you've been up to," said Sunny, setting her gray mug softly down onto the wooden table.

Taehyung glanced at his wife and then turned his eyes back to the silent wolf.

"Well, we've gotten the pack built back up to about twenty-five adults and a dozen or so pups and younglings. Hoseok-hyung is an amazing alpha. His Luna is really great, even if she keeps trying to marry me off to every she-wolf in Korea." Jungkook let out a soft laugh and quickly raised his mug to sip its contents again.

"Marry you off? Don't you wolves do that mate thing?" Taehyung rested his chin in his hand, gray eyes gently gazing at his friend.

Jungkook blushed a bit, but nodded. "Well, yeah. I just haven't met her yet. Ga-Eun, the Luna, keeps having small dinner parties with the new female members trying to see if I find a connection with one of them. Actually, I promised to be back for one this weekend."

"You can't stay for long then?" pouted Sunny.

"Afraid not. But I'm here now! I've really missed you two."

"We've missed you too," said Sunny, reaching over and patting one of his hands.

"It's not the same without you," said Taehyung, still keeping his eyes on Jungkook.

"We kept your stuff just like it was. Actually, I wanted to redecorate but Tae wouldn't let me touch your bed or the small stash of clothes you left behind."

Taehyung's eyes cut over to his wife and he curled his lip at her.

"What? I think it's sweet, babe!" Sunny giggled and reached her hand over to caress Taehyung's hair, gentleness and love pouring out in her gesture.

Jungkook felt a smile break across his face. A laugh came with it making the two vampires look over to him. "It feels good to laugh."

"Let's take a walk," said Taehyung quietly as he stood to his feet. He didn't leave any room for Jungkook to decline his invitation.

Sunny just smiled at Jungkook and shrugged her shoulders. "Bring someone home for dinner," she called over her shoulder to her husband.

"Noona!" gasped Jungkook, shocked to hear something so cold come from her.

Sunny laughed. "I'm kidding. I ate yesterday."

"Noona!"

"Let's go," groaned Taehyung.

***

The snow fell softly in slow, lazy flurries through the forest canopy. The sky was gray as always, the snow crunching under the two whose boots broke through its icy surface.

"I've missed this side of the mountain," sighed Jungkook, his warm breath coming out in a little white vapor cloud.

"It's missed you."

"Pfft! I'm sure the small animal population has enjoyed a rather robust comeback."

"It's terrible. You've no idea. The squeaking and scratching I have to endure every time I'm out here. Plus, Sunny protests if I bring home anything cute and furry."

Jungkook's head fell back and his laughter echoed through the snow-laden trees.

Taehyung shoved his hands into his coat pockets and smiled to himself. He had missed the werewolf's laugh and his companionship.