To London, To London

Jaci walked down the gangway that led to one of the five terminals belonging to Heathrow airport. She felt exhausted and ready for bed, though the morning was only half over in London. She had gained eight hours because of the time zones. Hopefully, she would be alert enough for her evening meeting.

Zephyr had agreed to meet her at a pub that he said was off the beaten path, frequented by his kind, and not one known for spreading gossip or rumors. He said he would find her, and she should just wait in the back corner booth.

Jaci's spine tingled as she ran the instructions over and over through her brain. She was anxious, slightly scared, and feeling very alone.

As she grabbed her suitcase from the baggage claim, she questioned her own sanity. Whatever possessed her to start traveling to foreign, unknown places all by herself? No wonder she had been attacked and nearly killed several times. All of her common sense seemed to leave her when supernatural things were involved.

As she stepped out of the terminal and out to the curb, she was thankful for the damp, cloudy atmosphere of the city. At least she wouldn't have to deal with being sleepy and squinting her eyes because of the sun. That would end up in a quick trip to dreamland.

She flagged down a taxi and gave the driver the address Zephyr had sent her. He had made all the arrangements for her stay, saving her valuable time. She was thankful, of course, but very worried about not knowing anything about her visit here.

She tried to take in the sights of the grand city of London as the driver took her down major roads, busy streets, and finally some dingy alleyways.

"'Ere," the driver called over his shoulder.

His manner and voice were gruff and a bit unnerving, but Jaci pasted on a bright smile and handed him her card, which he quickly swiped and shoved back to her. As soon as the transaction cleared, Jaci hurried to grab her things and leave the car. It sped off without even a glance from the driver.

Jaci looked behind her and saw a large, gray stone house, rising up three stories into the sky. This was no hotel. She frowned and compared the number by the front door to the number on her note and saw it was indeed the right place. At least the taxi driver hadn't dropped her off at some nefarious crime-ridden club.

Jaci grinned at her own ridiculous imagination and walked up the stone pathway to the large mahogany door. She looked for a doorbell or buzzer but didn't see one. Instead, the door was outfitted with a large brass knocker.

She dropped the knocker three times and then stood back to wait for someone to answer. It felt like an eternity passed before the door slowly swung open, and a man dressed in a light blue dress shirt, pastel green tie, and khaki slacks looked at her with a cold look. However, his expression quickly warmed as he stood aside and welcomed her in.

"You must be Miss Aigle. Lord Zephyr told us to expect your arrival. Please, come in."

Jaci stepped inside and felt like she had been sent through a time warp. Centuries old tapestries lined the walls. Heavily patterned rugs covered the main areas of the dark wooden floors. A grand mahogany staircase was situated right in the middle of the far wall, walkways branching left and right from it at the top.

She stood in awe as her eyes scanned the lavish, if a bit outdated, furnishings.

"My name is Aydan. I'm Lord Zephyr's assistant. If you need anything, there is a call button in your room. Josie or I will answer right away. Ah, Josie is the cook. She makes all of the meals. Lunch is to be served at noon sharp, and tea at four. Dinner is at seven-thirty, though I believe Lord Zephyr said you would be dining out this evening."