Friends Don't Let Friends Travel Alone

Jungkook wanted nothing more than to grab Jaci by the hands, and beg her not to go anywhere. But the look in her eyes told him that she needed to go.

His hands trembled with frustration and worry. He had so many questions running through his mind and no one that could help him answer them.

He wandered aimlessly through the waning moonlight, finding himself on the bank of Blood River. Looking across the water, he looked longingly at the snow banks just off in the distance. It called to him like a siren of the ocean.

Soon, he had shifted, tearing through his clothing, and rushing across the cool water to the familiar feel of home under his paws. He felt different as he ran, his feet left bigger prints, and his fur felt thicker and fuller.

He had become the Alpha of the Blood Mountain Pack. His wolf must be practically preening, fully releasing everything he had held back as a mere lower ranking pack member.

Jungkook pulled the frosty air into his lungs as he ran, snow flying up as his paws pushed into, and pulled out of the snow. Despite the frigid temperature of the snow, it felt like a warm blanket after getting caught in some rain. He needed this familiarity around him right now. He needed this run. He needed...

Taehyung.

Jungkook froze and sniffed the air. His golden eyes darted around the twilight of the morning, and he made out a dark shadow among the pines.

Taehyung had just finished a meal. The recognizable slouch of his guilt-ridden shoulders and the coppery scent of blood was all Jungkook needed to know that his friend was going to need some moral support very soon.

He sniffed the air, looking for any sign that Sunny was nearby, but he found none. Taehyung was apparently out on his own.

Jungkook stepped carefully toward the scene, casually glancing at the sight of the dead body laying face down in the snow.

"If you had been here a few moments earlier you would have made me break my promise," came the raspy voice of a satiated vampire.

"That promise was always garbage," said Jungkook, his own voice raspy from lack of use. "I know you do what you do to survive. You're nothing like Yoongi, hyung."

Taehyung turned his head to look over his shoulder at Jungkook. "You always know just what to say."

Jungkook scoffed and flopped down into the snow. "Why are you out so early?"

Taehyung sighed and pursed his lips, his hands resting casually on his hips. "I got a bit peckish. I couldn't let this fine specimen find its way back down the mountain. I suppose it was my lucky day."

His pale hand waved carelessly at the body. His expression showed the conflict between his words and his true feelings.

"Hyung, I won't sit here and let you throw up a mask to hide behind."

"Ah, technically, you're lying down. Not sitting. But let's not split hairs."

"Yes, yes, the insufferable Kim Snark. It's good to be home."

Taehyung finally turned around completely and trudged through the snow to Jungkook. "I could ask you the same question. Why are you up so early? And why are you here? Shouldn't you be with Jaci?"

Jungkook turned his face away from the piercing gray eyes of the vampire. Taehyung always knew when Jungkook was lying by just one look. Jungkook never did learn how to keep a straight face, and therefore, any lie he told to the vamp was called out right away. He may as well be honest.

"It's not been a good night," he mumbled, standing to his feet.

Taehyung hummed and nodded. "I see. Well, carry this poor lost soul to the dump and I will let you tell me all about your troubles."