Know Your Enemy

The fireplace inside the grand hall of Tierkrieger Isness had been lit and was roaring, emanating heat throughout the large room. Paintings depicting the history of the werewolves hung in heavy gilded frames that reached from floor to ceiling. Four heavy chandeliers lined the ceiling, beaming soft lighting to the stone floors.

Aydan pulled some large wing-backed chairs over to the fireplace. Afterwards, he helped Taehyung with getting Jungkook seated and comfortable before he went to ready their rooms.

Jungkook eased down into the red velvet chair and sighed in relief. The ride over had been a bit bumpy while passing over the more rural roads. It jostled his wounds and made him long for a seat that wasn't moving,

Jaci sat at his knee, keeping her eyes focused on him, seeming to assess his well-being for herself. Jungkook's mouth pulled upwards at the corners and he reached a hand over to card his fingers through her thick fur.

"You don't need to worry. I'm healing. I'll be fine, as long as I have you at my side."

"I can't rest. I'm worried."

"Don't worry. I'll be fully healed in no time. And I will always protect you."

"I think you are the one who needs the protecting."

"Touché. But it would hurt my manly pride."

"Psssh. Pride be hanged. I will always protect my mate."

Jungkook chuckled and it caused Sunny and Taehyung to pause.

"They're doing that thing again, aren't they?" muttered Taehyung with a scowl.

"I happen to think it's sweet," smiled Sunny, reaching her hand across the gap between their chairs to hold onto her husband's hand.

"Yes, well, I feel left out," grumbled Taehyung.

"Hyung, green isn't a good color on you," said Jungkook, grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

Jaci turned her large head and looked at Taehyung smugly, rumbling a low sound that resembled a laugh.

Taehyung rolled his eyes and lifted Sunny's hand to his lips. "Kids," he murmured against her cold skin.

Sunny laughed softly and shook her head. She settled down into her chair, the fire making her feel a bit sleepy. Not necessarily because of the warmth, but because of the rhythmic dancing of the flames. She was soon woken from her drowsiness as Ayden returned, his brown dress shoes clipping across the floor.

"I've readied several rooms upstairs. I chose rooms that were on all sides of the castle so we can be aware of what's coming, even though it's rather too dark to see, I'm afraid." He walked over to Jaci and laid a set of clothes on the arm of Jungkook's chair.

"I brought you something to change into. I'm sure you do not wish to remain in this form for the duration." He smiled kindly and walked back towards the door. "Now, if you would all please follow me."

***

Jaci felt relieved to be on two legs again. Shifting into her wolf form was traumatic at first, and while she enjoyed her intimidating presence, she felt useless to Jungkook. He needed human hands and feet to help him right now. Not a clumsy wolf.

She smoothed out the creases in the fleece shirt and matching pants. They had little owls and foxes on a baby blue background. They were adorably whimsical and Jaci wondered how they had ended up here in the first place, but it was not time to look a gift horse in the mouth. Giving herself a once over in the mirror of the bathroom, she turned the handle of the door and walked out into the impressively large bedroom.