xx. | space invaders

-°——˚✧ ψ ✧˚——°-
CHAPTER TWENTY!
𝖘𝖕𝖆𝖈𝖊 𝖎𝖓𝖛𝖆𝖉𝖊𝖗𝖘
-°——˚✧ ψ ✧˚——°-

╭-°—✞—˚✧ ψ ✧˚—✞—°-╮CHAPTER TWENTY! 𝖘𝖕𝖆𝖈𝖊 𝖎𝖓𝖛𝖆𝖉𝖊𝖗𝖘╰-°—✞—˚✧ ψ ✧˚—✞—°-╯

────── 〔ψ〕──────

THE WHITE WALLS brought out the gold frames of the paintings before Salene. The eyes of the man in The Scream bore into her own. She found herself admiring the strokes of the blue and how the colors blended together. She knew she was on borrowed time but she could help but constantly come back to this painting, maybe it's the fact that she knows what Edward Munch was expressing in his work. She knew what he was feeling in the haunting expression of the man on the dock.

"I'm surprised you were reluctant to come to this trip," Peter spoke up next to her, making her jump a bit, she had been too lost in her thoughts to even hear him come up behind her.

"I didn't want to mess up my painting style, plagiarism is..." she didn't have to finish her sentence, Peter knew what she meant.

That's the thing, it had been roughly two years since they took down the vulture and Salene had only gotten more powerful, and closer to Peter. Something happened that night that changed their relationship, Salene wasn't sure if it was because it was the first time Peter had been in the apartment or if it was her whole family throwing salt at the two of them for showing up while looking like a hot mess.

Kyril saved them from the yelling when he said he found Peter defending Salene and being beaten up. Which would explain why they looked so beaten up. Her father even kissed Peter's cheek as a sign of acceptance and thankfulness. Peter went on about it for the following weeks to come.

Now, they're at the point where one is always crashing at the others apartment, most of the time its Salene crashing at Peters after a rough night of patrol. Since May found out about Peter, she seemed okay enough for Salene to reveal herself to the woman who always made her feel welcome in her home.

"Ms. Carlyle is gonna kill us if we don't get back," Peter spoke, Salene was still zoned out, staring into the eyes of The Scream, it brought something out in her as she reflected on it.

"Yeah we should probably go," she muttered and spun around. There was a crowd of people in MoMA today, a lot of schools thought it was the perfect day to take a field trip to an art museum.

Peter noticed her panic with such a large crowd and Salene felt him take her hand and pull her behind him; he let her grip onto his sweater, using his taller frame to make a path for her and get to the entrance of the building. Salene felt the heat rise in her cheeks and ears at the connection, her heart raced when he took her hand again to go inside the bus.

The first time Salene remembers them holding hands was a few days after they got their suits back, they were still cleaning up the mess Adrian made with all the weapons they sold and Salene had a close call. Peter hugged her tight and wouldn't stop holding her hand any chance he got.