xxiv. | the prices we pay

-°——˚✧ ψ ✧˚——°-
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR!
𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖗𝖎𝖈𝖊𝖘 𝖜𝖊 𝖕𝖆𝖞
-°——˚✧ ψ ✧˚——°-

╭-°—✞—˚✧ ψ ✧˚—✞—°-╮CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR!𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖗𝖎𝖈𝖊𝖘 𝖜𝖊 𝖕𝖆𝖞╰-°—✞—˚✧ ψ ✧˚—✞—°-╯

────── ψ──────

THE DINER BOOTH felt small, and Salene knew exactly why as she stared at Bruce. She wasn't sure how she could even describe him. A weird hybrid of the Bruce she met five years ago and a fabled Hulk that she had seen on her tv and got a glimpse of in 2012 when he crushed 5 chitauri above her head. The most disturbing part of it to her is that he wasn't just wearing a shirt, he was wearing a cardigan over it too.

She was currently in the window seat of the booth next to Scott, across from Steve. She kept glancing at Nat to try and get a read of her thoughts on what she was seeing but it wasn't much, she would have to get it from Nat verbally when they found some time alone.

"Come on, I feel like I'm the only one eating," Bruce pushed a plate of eggs towards her and Scott, she pushed through her confusion of everything that happened today, she had only had a peanut butter sandwich all day, "Try some of that. Have some eggs."

"I'm so confused," Scott spoke up, Salene would've said the same if she wasn't downing the eggs, Steve gave her a look but she just shrugged.

"These are confusing times." Salene could see right through him.

"Right." Scott agreed, shaking his head, "No, no, that's not what I meant."

"No, I get it. I'm kidding!" Bruce's shoulders dropped along with his act, a smile on his face, "I know. It's crazy. I'm wearing shirts now."

"Yeah!" Scott nodded, she couldn't see his face but after seeing a couple of expressions in the few hours she's known him, she has an idea of what it looks like now, "Wh...How? Why?"

"Five years ago, we got our asses beaten. Except it was worse for me." Salene was slowly losing her appetite due to the subject they were on, "Because I lost twice. First, Hulk lost, then Banner lost. Then, we all lost."

"No one blamed you, Bruce," Nat spoke softly, the look on his face when she said that told Salene everything she needed to know.

"I did. For years, I've been treating the Hulk like he's some kind of disease, something to get rid of. But then I started looking at him as the cure." Bruce began to lighten up on the topic, Salene could see the lift in his mood, "Eighteen months in a gamma lab. I put the brains and the brawn together. And now look at me. Best of both worlds..."