prelude

────── 〔ψ〕──────

────── ψ──────

SALENE WOKE UP IN a cold-sweat and tears, clawing at her burning neck as she tried breathing. She knew that air was getting to her lungs, but it didn't mean that it felt like it. Her body burned all over and her hair stuck to her body. She fell out of her bed, gasping for air. Salenes throat continued to constrict so tight she felt like someone was squeezing it closed. The veins in her face all seemed to throb and she cried out.

Salene stumbled to her window, opening it up and falling into the fire escape. She could help but cry as she tried breathing. She could feel his presence inside her head, images flashing before her. People burning, their cries of anguish screamed in her ears. She crawled up to the roof. The first scream of the night left her body hunched over as the wind cooled her hot body. It felt like ice pricking at her but she was grateful. Salene looked up to the sky. The light pollution wasn't as bad and through her blurry vision, she could make out a few stars.

She tried to focus on anything other than the burning of her skin and the air that seemed to stop before getting to her lungs. Salene let out another blood-curdling scream as she tried breathing again. Nothing. She fell to her knees, the gravel that dug into her feet now dug into her knees and her shins and her ankles. But it all felt like ice against the fire that burned inside her and made it look like the sweat on her turn into steam.

Before she knew what was happening, a bright light consumed her vision, she felt her body being lifted, like she was weightless. And when she felt ground, she could see once more. She was in the middle of the street in the middle of no where. The pain became to much and when she straightened up, yanking her hands away from her body, two streams of burning, white-hot light left; one on each hand. Salene gasped as the energy tore into the buildings. She directed her hands to the sky, her skin felt as though it was melting right off the bones. But she didn't see and she certainly didn't smell the burning of her flesh.

Soon, the light died down and she got to her feet, her tears mixed with her sweat on her face and she couldn't see anything through the blurry vision except for the bright LED headlights of someone's truck heading for her at full speed. Salene didn't know how it happened, but she shot up into the sky. She was in a rural part of New York, the distant lights of the Avengers tower was the only landmark that could tell Salene where she was.

How did her life go this sideways?

Why did her life go this sideways.

Her going home late from the shelter caused Lucifer to target her. Lucifer, the creep that watched her for weeks inside a body that is going through the same thing has hers, burning from the inside out. Except, this time, Lucifer doesn't have control over her like he did with the ones before. Salene refused.

And now Salene had to pay, but the question was: who else had to be hurt before she could find any control?

────── ψ──────

me? making a halsey reference?
i think you have me confused with someone else because i would nEVER.

but this is just the beginning of salene and her new powers with lucifer.
and just so everyone is clear, this takes place a few hours
after the initial demonic possession in the alleyway,
i feel that this truly exemplifies the feelings
that salene will have throughout part one!